RESEARCH FIELDBiological sciences › Other
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE03/02/2019 23:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONMultiple locations, see work locations below.
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020 / Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions
MARIE CURIE GRANT AGREEMENT NUMBER812985
VacPath is an EU funded project aiming to develop novel vector-based vaccines eliciting mucosal immunity against the intracellular bacterium Chlamydia trachomatis. The network joins five academic European research groups and two SMEs within The Netherlands, Germany, Switzerland, Denmark and Italy. PhD students will be appointed at one of these locations and receive additional training through courses and secondments at network partners.
In this project, you will be educated in the diverse aspects of vaccine development, from fundamental research to valorization of results. You will design and construct innovative and safe virus-, bacterium-, or plasmid-based vector vaccines inducing both cellular and humoral immunity, evaluate their immunogenicity and unravel the mechanisms underlying their functioning to further optimize vaccine design.
Your responsibilities will include the design and execution of experiments based on leads from a previous project, communication with network partners, data analysis, and manuscript preparation. You will have the opportunity to work in different European laboratories and get a taste of different research cultures.
The position will be hosted at the following istitutions:
University of Basel, Basel, Switzerland
Project Title: Arenavirus-based vaccine vectors to enhance T cell and antibody responses in homologous and heterologous prime – boost vaccination
H. H. Universität Düsseldorf, Düsseldorf, Germany
Project Title: Approaches to optimise MVA-based vaccines and to enhance MVA-mediated T cell response
Abera Bioscience, Stockholm, Sweden
Project Title: Production of S. typhimurium-based vaccine vectors for mucosal immunisation
University of Siena, Siena, Italy
Project Title: Recombinant S. gordonii to modulate host immune responses
Utrecht University, Utrecht, Netherlands
Project Title: Strategies to enhance the immunogenicity of vectored vaccines
Microbiotec, Siena, Italy
Project Title: Transcriptome analysis to profile vaccine-induced immune responses
Staten Serum institute, Copenhagen, Denmark
Project Title: Novel vaccine technologies to protect against genital C. trachomatis infections
- Dr. A. Sijts, Utrecht University, The Netherlands: https://www.uu.nl/medewerkers/EJAMSijts;
- Prof. Dr. D. Pinschewer, University of Basel, Switzerland: https://biomedizin.unibas.ch/en/research/research-groups/pinschewer-lab/;
- Prof. Dr. I. Drexler, University of Duesseldorf, Germany: https://www.uniklinik-duesseldorf.de/unternehmen/institute/institut-fuer-virologie/forschung/ag-drexler/;
- Dr. F. Follmann, Statens Serum Institute, Denmark: https://en.ssi.dk/about-us/contact/employees/f/frank-follmann-frf;
- Prof. Dr. G Pozzi, University of Siena, Italy: www.unisi.it
- Dr. A. Gerlini, Microbiotec srl, Siena, Italy
- Dr. J. Luirink, Abera Bioscience, The Netherlands: www.aberabio.com
Please visit the EU MSCA website for further information. The ESRs will be enrolled in a vibrant PhD programme of leading academic and industrial researchers. In addition to their individual scientific projects, all ESRs will benefit from a dedicated training programme comprising an integrated curriculum of local and intensive network courses, schools, workshops and engagement with cutting-edge research.
Application deadline 3rd of February 2019.
In case your application will be selected we will contact you to organize a Skype interview.
Web site for additional job details
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELBiological sciences: Master Degree or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Excellent
- Masters degree in Cell Biology, Microbiology, Virology Biochemistry, Immunology or Pharmaceutical Sciences;
- Expertise in molecular biological, biochemical, pharmaceutical formulation and/or immunological techniques;
- Ability to think critically and creatively.
In addition, ESR are obliged to adhere to the MSCA ITN-mobility rules associated with ITN, requiring not to have lived for over 12 months, within the last three years, within the country of the hosting institution. ESR further must be in the first four years of their research career and not yet have a doctoral degree.
EURAXESS offer ID: 365033