ORGANISATION/COMPANYAalborg University, the Technical Faculty of IT and Design and the Faculty of Medicine
RESEARCH FIELDEngineering › Electronic engineering
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE31/12/2018 12:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONDenmark › Aalborg
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK37
At the Technical Faculty of IT and Design, Department of Electronic Systems, one ore more PhD stipends in Ultra-reliable Low Latency Connectivity are available within the general study programme Wireless Communications. The stipends are open for appointment from 1 June, 2019 or soon as possible thereafter.
PAINLESS Early Stage Researcher 15: Ultra-reliable Low Latency Connectivity
Aalborg University, Department of Electronic Systems is seeking to appoint one high-calibre Early Stage Researcher (ESR) to join the Marie Skłodowska-Curie Innovative Training Network on ‘energy-autonomous Portable Access points for INfrastructure-LESS networks - (PAINLESS)’.
The ESR15 project objectives are to design reliable wireless connections for the transmission of control/coordination information among UAV-BSs, as well as over the ground-UAV links. A key challenge in this project is to tackle the problem of ensuring coverage and reliable connectivity during transitions between different constellations of UAVs. The project should include both communication theoretic aspects as well as prototyping and lab experiments.
The ESR’s PhD must be designed and conceived as an integral part of the overall PAINLESS project. The successful candidate will be a team player, prepared to work closely with the Project’s senior staff and other ESRs.
All candidates must meet the following requirements a) and b):
a) Early-Stage Researchers (ESRs) shall at the time of recruitment by the host organisation be in the first four years (full-time equivalent research experience) of their research careers and not yet have been awarded a doctoral degree. Full-time equivalent research experience is measured from the date when a researcher obtained the degree which would formally entitle him or her to embark on a doctorate, either in the country in which the degree was obtained or in the country in which the researcher is recruited.
b) At the time of recruitment by the host organisation, researchers must not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in the country of their host organisation for more than 12 months in the three years immediately prior to the recruitment date. Compulsory national service and/or short stays such as holidays are not taken into account.
Profile of the candidate:
- An undergraduate degree and a postgraduate Master’s degree (or equivalent) in electronic engineering and/or wireless communications.
- Excellent written and verbal communication, including presentation skills.
- Highly proficient English language skills.
- Excellent organisational skills, attention to detail and the ability to meet deadlines.
- Ability to think logically, create solutions and make informed decisions.
- Willingness to work collaboratively in a research environment.
- A strong commitment to your own continuous professional development.
- Ability to travel and work across Europe.
The application must include:
- a) A cover letter explaining your motivation for applying.
- b) A Curriculum Vitae setting out your educational qualifications as well as any additional scientific achievements and publications.
- c) Evidence of Advanced-level English – IELTS (or equivalent) overall grade of 7.5 with a minimum of 6.5 in each of the subtests.
- d) A copy of your Master’s certificate (or equivalent) or certificate of graduation.
- e) An official transcript of the completed subjects and grades achieved in the course of the Master’s programme.
- f) Two letters of recommendation from researchers familiar with your academic activities, e.g. the advisor of your Master’s thesis. The referees must e-mail their recommendations directly to email@example.com .
- g) A short research proposal on the project’s theme (max. 2,000 words)
Further description of the PAINLESS ESR15 project can be found on the webpage:
You may obtain further information from Jimmy Jessen Nielsen, Department of Electronic Systems, phone: +45 9940 9867, email: firstname.lastname@example.org , concerning the scientific aspects of the stipend.
PhD stipends are allocated to individuals who hold a Master's degree. PhD stipends are normally for a period of 3 years. It is a prerequisite for allocation of the stipend that the candidate will be enrolled as a PhD student at the Technical Doctoral School of IT and Design in accordance with the regulations of Ministerial Order No. 1039 of August 27, 2013 on the PhD Programme at the Universities and Certain Higher Artistic Educational Institutions. According to the Ministerial Order, the progress of the PhD student shall be assessed every six months. It is a prerequisite for continuation of salary payment that the previous progress is approved at the time of the evaluation.
The qualifications of the applicant will be assessed by an assessment committee. On the basis of the recommendation of the assessment committee, the Dean of the Technical Faculty of IT and Design will make a decision for allocating the stipend.
For further information about stipends and salary as well as practical issues concerning the application procedure contact Ms. Lisbeth Diinhoff, The Technical Faculty of IT and Design, email: email@example.com , phone: +45 9940 9589.
For more information of The Technical Doctoral School of IT and Design: www.phd.tech.aau.dk
The application is only to be submitted online by using the "Apply online" button below.
AAU wishes to reflect the diversity of society and welcomes applications from all qualified candidates regardless of personal background or belief.
Appointment and salary as a PhD fellow are according to the Ministry of Finance Circular of November 10, 2015 on the Collective Agreement for Academics in Denmark, Appendix 5, regarding PhD fellows, and with the Ministry of Finance current circular on the employment structure at Danish Universities.
EURAXESS offer ID: 359770
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.