ORGANISATION/COMPANYInstitute of Chemistry, Slovak Academy of Sciences
RESEARCH FIELDChemistry › Analytical chemistryChemistry › Biochemistry
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE07/01/2019 23:00 - Europe/London
LOCATIONSlovakia › Bratislava
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK37.5
OFFER STARTING DATE01/04/2019
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020 / Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions
REFERENCE NUMBERsynBIOcarb ESR12
MARIE CURIE GRANT AGREEMENT NUMBER814029
Applications are invited for a 36 months position as early-stage researcher (ESR) to work on the Marie Skłodowska-Curie Innovative Training Network synBIOcarb - Synthetic biology of carbohydrate-binding proteins: engineering protein-carbohydrate interactions for diagnostics and cell targeting. synBIOcarb brings together 14 leading European partners in a transnational network, implementing a multidisciplinary and intersectorial research and training programme between the academic and the industrial partners in the fields of synthetic glycobiology. Together, synBIOcarb provides 15 early stage researchers (ESRs) with advanced scientific training in chemical synthesis, protein engineering, biophysics, cell biology and analytical device technologies that underpin the development and exploitation of glycoscience for diagnostics and targeted drug delivery.
Each ESR will contribute to one, or more, of four thematic work packages that have been designed to progress the state of the art in Synthetic Glycobiology.
The research, which will be carried out at the Institute of Chemistry, Slovak Academy of Sciences in Bratislava, Slovakia (position ESR 12), will involve application of various types of nanomaterials to enhance sensitivity of detection using an optical and an electrochemical platform of detection. Such devices will be constructed using immobilised glycans, antibodies, commercially available lectins, artificial/recombinant lectins and various glycan binding modules developed within consortium. In the final steps lectins or newly developed glycan binding modules will be used for glycoprofiling of attached glycoproteins (i.e. a sandwich configuration antibodies/glycoproteins/lectins). Bioanalytical devices with immobilised glycans will be applied for specific detection of autoantibodies raised against aberrant glycans appearing during development and progression of various diseases.
The successful candidate will participate in the network’s training activities and work placements at the laboratories of the synBIOcarb academic and industrial teams. Regular meetings and workshops within the EU-funded synBIOcarb Innovative Training Network will supplement the training and support provided at the Institute of Chemistry, Slovak Academy of Sciences and at Faculty of Chemical and Food Technology, Slovak University of Technology. Practical scientific training will be complemented by a coordinated programme of industry-relevant transferable skills that will prepare the ESRs for future careers in the medical technologies sector.
To meet the requirements of the Marie Skłodowska-Curie Innovative Training Network, you will be an early stage researcher within the first four years of your research career, have not yet been awarded a doctoral degree (PhD), and have not lived or carried out your main activity (work/study) in Slovakia for more than 12 months during the past three years.
This position is for 36 months. The Early Stage Researcher will be employed by the Institute of Chemistry, Slovak Academy of Sciences. He or she will receive a Monthly Living Allowance plus a Mobility Allowance compliant with the applicable EC Marie Curie Sklodowska-Curie Actions - ITN general conditions.
The candidate should not have resided or carried out main activity in Slovakia for more than 12 months in the last 3 years immediately prior to the reference recruitment date.
- You are required to apply to this post by e-mail to Jan.Tkac@savba.sk indicating reference "synBIOcarb ESR12". Applications should be submitted by 23.00 (UK time) on the advertised closing date.
- Your applications should include a cover letter outlining why you want to join the project, a CV including the names and contact details, and transcripts of your university records.
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Good
Applicants should meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Have a Diploma and/or a Master Degree in Biotechnology / Biochemistry / Analytical Chemistry or other related field relevant to the described research.
- Have less than 4 years research experience at the signature of the contract (measured from the time the Master’s degree has been obtained).
- Not have a PhD already.
- Not have resided or carried out main activity in Slovakia for more than 12 months in the last 3 years immediately prior to the reference recruitment date.
- Excellent knowledge of the English language (spoken and written).
- Ideally, you want to achieve ambitious goals, you like new challenges (implementation of new techniques and protocols) and you are ready to disseminate your results in a form of publications and at conferences/meeting. Successful candidates are eager to participate in the network’s training activities and secondments at the laboratories of the synBIOcarb academic and industrial teams.
EURAXESS offer ID: 358100