ORGANISATION/COMPANYVrije Universiteit Brussel
RESEARCH FIELDBiological sciences › Biological engineeringChemistry › Biochemistry
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE01/01/2019 00:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONBelgium › Brussels
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK38
OFFER STARTING DATE01/02/2019
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020 / Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions
MARIE CURIE GRANT AGREEMENT NUMBER813239
The Vrije Universiteit Brussel (VUB) seeks a full-time project manager for the administration and organisation of the EU funded Marie Sklodowska-Curie Innovative Training Network RNAct “Enabling proteins with RNA recognition motifs for synthetic biology and bio-analytics”. The research and training network unites 7 European laboratories and companies, and will train 10 PhD students that will combine computational and experimental approaches with the aim to design RNA recognition proteins for synthetic biology and bio-analytics, over a period of 4 years, starting in January 2019.
The successful candidate will work directly with the coordinator of the network, Prof. Wim Vranken, in the Bio2Byte (http://bio2byte.be) group of Structural Biology Brussels at the Etterbeek campus of Vrije Universiteit Brussel. The project manager will be responsible for the administrative, organizational, financial and scientific aspects of the network together with the coordinator. Close interactions with the participating partner institutions, with the VUB administration, and with the European Commission will be required.
The VUB provides many extra-contractual benefits for employees, such as 100% reimbursement of your commuting costs by public transport, a commuter cycling allowance, eco-cheques, hospitalisation insurance, childcare, inexpensive meals at the campus restaurant. See http://www.vub.ac.be/en/jobs/why-vub#benefits for more information.
Candidates will be pre-screened based on the submitted information, and withheld candidates will be further interviewed in the beginning of January.
Web site for additional job details
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELBiological sciences: Master Degree or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Excellent
The project manager will have the following responsibilities in direct cooperation with the project coordinator:
- Manage the RNAct project, and act as the main contact person for all participating partners and PhD students.
- Manage the overall budget of the project.
- Establish and maintain the project website.
- Ensure that all project deliverables and milestones are fulfilled in time (i.e., recruitment of students, data management plan, research, events, and training).
- Prepare scientific, managerial and financial reports for the European Commission.
- Coordinate the organisation and logistics of the training programme, including scientific and career development events such as summer schools, conferences and workshops on-site and abroad.
- Generate teaching material, handbooks and protocols for the training initiatives, in cooperation with partners within the project and by liaising with external contractors.
- Ensure effective and timely exchange of information, material and financial accounts between partners, the VUB administration, and the European Commission.
The project manager is expected to travel to network events in Europe (Germany, Spain, Sweden, France, Italy), and will additionally be involved in establishing and maintaining the project data management system, in collaboration with the RNAct researchers.
The candidate should have excellent organisational skills and enjoy working in an independent and pro-active manner in a dynamic environment. Team and communication skills are essential in order to liaise with the different stakeholders in this project, with flexibility to move across a range of different functions. Effective multi-tasking and the ability to work to tight deadlines are also required.
Demonstrated experience in preparation and/or management of research networks on the national or European level is an advantage. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to move between the scientific and managerial level are essential. An excellent standard of written and spoken English is mandatory, and Dutch would be an advantage. The candidate should hold an MSc or equivalent qualification in life sciences or natural sciences, with knowledge of website maintenance an advantage. Knowledge of project management systems and data management is a plus, but not an absolute requirement.
EURAXESS offer ID: 357045