RESEARCH FIELDBiological sciences › BiologyMedical sciences › Other
RESEARCHER PROFILELeading Researcher (R4)Established Researcher (R3)
APPLICATION DEADLINE22/02/2019 23:00 - Europe/London
LOCATIONPortugal › Lisboa
TYPE OF CONTRACTPermanent
HOURS PER WEEK40
OFFER STARTING DATE01/06/2019
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020
The Champalimaud Foundation (CF) invites applications for a Group Leader to incept a novel research programme – integrative physiology and cancer - by joining a dynamic and highly collaborative international research institute in Lisbon, Portugal.
We are particularly interested in applications from candidates who demonstrate innovative, risk-taking and ambitious research, combining experimental and theoretical approaches and using advanced techniques to elucidate the biology of cancer and metastasis.
- APPLICATION DEADLINE EXTENDED 22.02.2019 -
- Established (R3) or Leading (R4) Researcher profile according to the European Framework for Research Careers.
- Innovative research theme(s) focused on physiology & cancer.
- Solid international reputation in physiology & cancer.
- Significant international experience and a network of established collaborations.
- Sound expertise in research and team management, including a proven track record of securing and managing competitive funding and international R&D teams.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Ability to make significant contributions to the research field.
- Availability to support the strategic implementation of the institutional structural changes necessary to achieve excellence on a sustainable basis.
- Capacity to act as a professional role model for others and willingness to support advanced training and mentoring initiatives.
- Willingness to bridge fundamental and clinical research, through internal and external R&D collaborations.
- Rolling tenure track position with initial appointment of 5-years (renewal subject to the peer-reviewed process currently in place for all CF Research Group Leaders).
- Internationally competitive remuneration package, commensurate with experience.
- Additional benefits, including generous start-up package for equipment, running costs for consumables and reagents and adequate laboratory space.
- Independence to establish and manage their research team, to make appropriate resource allocation decisions, supervise team members and freely apply for research funding.
- Financial support for hiring experienced research team.
- Access to the recruitment of PhD students enrolled in the CF Research International Doctoral Programme and in the new MD/ PhD programme to be incepted during QuantOCancer implementation.
- Access to the Centre’s world-class facilities for clinical and fundamental research including platforms for advanced microscopy, flow cytometry, ultra-high field magnetic resonance imaging, and facilities for a range of model organisms (Drosophila, Zebrafish and mice).
Research is at the heart of the Champalimaud Centre for the Unknown, a modern research and clinical facility situated on the waterfront in Lisbon, Portugal. Champalimaud Research comprises a team of over 200 scientists from around the world with foci in neuroscience and cancer research. English is the official language of the Centre. Lisbon’s sunny Atlantic-Mediterranean climate, vibrant culture and high quality of life make this a great place to live and work.
About the Project
The selected candidate will be recruited as ERA Chair holder for the recently awarded 2.5 M EUR 5-year Horizon 2020 ERA Chair QuantOCancer project – “Leveraging the unique organismic approach to health and disease of the Champalimaud Foundation (CF) through the inception of a quantitative biomedicine research programme focused on cancer”. The ERA Chair holder is expected to support the implementation of QuantOCancer in collaboration with the coordination and management team. QuantOCancer project has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under grant agreement No 810653.
How to apply
Applicants are invited to complete the online application form available here, uploading (in pdf form):
- Motivation letter stating research interests and describing how the candidate foresees their impact in the future of the CF Research Programme, highlighting expected collaborations.
- List detailing:
- Selected peer-reviewed publications (highlighting the specific contributions made to the research field)
- Relevant secured research funding
- Patents and reference to innovation-related activities
- Advanced training and mentoring responsibilities.
- Contact details for 3-5 individuals (referees) who can provide recommendation letters.
Informal inquiries should be addressed to email@example.com with subject ERA Chair – YOUR LAST NAME.
All applications will be treated in full confidentiality.
Once your application is submitted you will receive a non-automated confirmation email within 7 days. If you do not receive this email, please contact CF Research Careers at firstname.lastname@example.org
The selection process will be conducted in 2-stages, with an initial selection of the candidates based on the submitted applications, followed by on-site interviews (or through videoconference, if necessary) with short-listed candidates. Candidates will be evaluated against three main criteria: i) scientific leadership; ii) academic track-record and iii) translation and innovation activities, by a nominated search and selection committee including CF Research Directors.
All applicants will be informed on the final outcome of the recruitment process.
Expected starting date: June 2019.
Non-discrimination and equal access policy
The Champalimaud Foundation actively promotes a policy of non-discrimination and equal access, so that no candidate can be privileged, benefited, harmed or deprived of any right, on basis of age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, family status, economic situation, education, social origin or condition, genetic heritage, reduced working capacity, disability, chronic illness, nationality, race, territory of origin, language, religion, political or ideological convictions, and trade union membership.
EURAXESS offer ID: 354138