ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversità degli Studi di Milano
RESEARCH FIELDChemistry › Other
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE26/11/2018 23:00 - Europe/Athens
LOCATIONItaly › Milan
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40
OFFER STARTING DATE01/02/2019
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020 / Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions
MARIE CURIE GRANT AGREEMENT NUMBER814236
Early Stage Researcher position as a PhD scholarship available at the Department of Chemistry, University of Milan (ITALY), in the framework of the EU-funded Marie Skłodowska-Curie ITN-ETN training network "NANOCARB: Glyco-Nanoparticles for Applications in Advanced Nanomedicine ".
Synthesis of smart glycosides to enhance the glyco-nanomaterial circulation half-life.
It is well established that a poor blood circulation lifetime of nanomaterial is a major limitation to the clinical applications of nanomedicines. In this regard, the present project is focused on the design and synthesis of well-defined “smart” glycosides to be employed for the surface functionalization of the nanomaterial, with the aim to improve its biocompatibility, solubility, and even the circulation half-life. In particular, the major task of the selected ESR will be the synthesis of mono- and oligosaccharides endowed with active-targeting properties (i.e., possessing the ability to target the carbohydrate-binding domain of specific cellular receptors) and bearing an anomeric linker suitable for nanomaterial functionalization. Various kinds of linkers (also provided by other NanoCarb beneficiaries), differing for their chain length and lipophilicity, will be synthesized and evaluated, and eventually correlated with the active targeting properties of the corresponding glyco-nanomaterial.
Specifically, the selected ESR will be engaged in 1) Synthesis of mono- and oligosaccharides possessing active-targeting properties bearing an anomeric linker suitable for nanomaterial functionalization; 2) Design and synthesis of a set of PEG-based linkers, differing for their chain length, to be glycosylated with the target glycans; 3) Sequential introduction of negatively charged moieties on the synthetic glycosides to modulate the nanomaterial surface charge.
The research project is highly multidisciplinary and the selected fellow will develop knowledge in synthesis and structural characterization of carbohydrates and oligosaccharides, bio-immunology, surface chemistry and nanomedicine.
Planned secondments are in 1) MIDATECH LTD (UK, Industry, to be trained in the synthesis and characterisation of LPS free gold nanoparticles under GMP conditions; 2) RCSI (Ireland, University), to be trained in the characterization of the Glyco-NP in complex media and protein corona studies.
Starting date of the PhD programme: February 1st 2019.
Eligible applicants must have less than 4 years research experience (Early Stage Researcher) at the signature of the contract (measured from the time the Master’s degree has been obtained).
Eligible applicants must not have a PhD yet.
The applicant must send the following documents (if possible included in a single zipped file attachment) to Prof. Luigi Lay (email@example.com) within 26 November 2018, clearly indicating in the subject “Application for ESR4 position”:
1) Up-to-date Curriculum vitae inclusive of contact details of previous supervisors (max. 3 pages);
2) a letter giving reason for his/her motivation for the post (max. 1 page);
3) Names and contact details of three referees (this may include previous supervisors);
4) the scan of the degree (usually the Master Degree) which would formally entitle him/her to embark on a doctorate, either in the country in which the degree was obtained or in the country in which the researcher will be recruited. In case the degree has not been obtained yet, it is necessary to send a declaration of the university stating that the degree will be obtained before the expected starting date (see below);
5) a document indicating his/her ranking and marks within his/her last year at his/her Master Degree as well as the courses/modules they have attended (optional). This document is mandatory for applicants who do not have yet obtained the degree.
6) a summary of the Master Degree thesis or a brief description of the past scientific activity (this can also be included in the CV.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The applicants must assure their availability to start the PhD programme not later than February 1st 2019.
Applications must be in English and will be evaluated against the following criteria:
- Educational record;
- scientific quality of the applicant’s CV;
- expected individual impact and benefit to the fellow and to the project.
- previous experience in the subject of NanoCarb research programme.
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELChemistry: Master Degree or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Excellent
In order to apply for a place in the PhD programme, students must have a second-level degree, an equivalent qualification, or an equivalent qualification by study level (Master’s Degree) from a foreign University. In addition, English language skills at B2 level (minimum) is required to cover the position.
- Master degree in Chemistry or equivalent
- A suitable background for the open position includes synthesis and structural characterization of carbohydrates and oligosaccharides;
- A basic background in biochemistry will be also appreciated;
- Experience in performing laboratory work independently;
- Good collaborative and social skills and an open-minded mind-set;
- Good proficiency in written and spoken English (minimum B2 level).
EURAXESS offer ID: 351062