RESEARCH FIELDChemistry › Physical chemistry
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE31/01/2019 23:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONSpain › San Sebastián
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK38
OFFER STARTING DATE01/03/2019
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020 / Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions
MARIE CURIE GRANT AGREEMENT NUMBER814236
Applications are invited for one Marie Curie Early Stage Researcher (PhD) position in the frame of the Nanocarb project on Glycol-Functionalised gold nanoparticles, protein corona formation and in vitro fate studies using advanced optical spectroscopy and imaging to be carried out under the supervision of Dr. Sergio Moya at CIC biomaGUNE in San Sebastian
The European project Nanocarb (Glyco-Nanoparticles for Applications in Advance Nanomedicine) is a new Innovative Training Network (ITN) funded by the European Commission under the H2020 - MSCA-ITN-2018 programme.
NanoCarb is a multidisciplinary consortium including universities, research centres and SMEs with broad expertise ranging from nanotechnology, carbohydrate chemistry, glycoprofiling and in vitro/in vivo screening specialists. The network will develop novel and well-characterised nanomaterials with synthetic and native glycans that will be used for therapeutics and guide development of new drug delivery applications. The project will train early stage researchers at the interface of nanotechnology and glycosciences, with the overall goal of achieving a new generation of professionals in nanomedicine for a prospective career in both academia and industry.
The successful candidates will benefit from an international scientific network of high-profile academic and industry partners offering state-of-the-art research facilities in nanotechnology, carbohydrate chemistry, glycoprofiling and in vitro/in vivo screening as well as career relevant training through research, courses, outreach activities, participation in seminar, and workshops.
Job Full Description:
The project will focus on the study of the stability and biological fate of protein corona around gold nanoparticles functionalised with synthetic and native glycans. The project aims to correlate the stability of the protein corona around the nanoparticles with their fate and state of aggregation intracellularly. The affinity of NPs with different glyco coatings will also be an important aspect of the research. The candidate will work predominantly with Confocal Microscopy and Fluorescence Correlation Spectroscopy.
The research project is highly multidisciplinary and the candidate will develop knowledge in nanotechnology, fluorescence spectroscopy, optical microscopy and cell biology. During the PhD programme, the candidate will carry out secondments at one university and one research organisation or industry.
The candidate will commit to carry out an independent and original scientific research, to report the research findings to the supervisor verbally but also in the form of written report and to be assessed on a yearly based to test the advances in specific competencies, necessary for the PhD advancement and to do a final PhD exam at the end of the 3rd year.
Midatech Ltd., Abingdon, United Kingdom (3 months)
Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, Dublin, Ireland (3 months)
Marie Curie eligibility rules requires ESRs to have at most four years of research experience. To satisfy Marie Curie mobility criteria, candidates must not have resided or carried out your main activity (work, studies, etc.) in Spain for more than 12 months in the 3 years prior to the start data (short stays such as holidays and/or compulsory national service are not taken into account).
Required Education Level: First Stage Researcher (R1)
Required Research Experience/Skills/Qualifications:
- The ideal applicant will have a master degree or equivalent qualification in chemistry, physics or related disciplines.
- Specific skills which would enhance a candidate’s application include experience in some of the following areas: nanotechnology, materials science, physics, physical chemistry. Excellent written and oral communication skills are also desired.
- For candidates who do not speak English as their first language, IELTS or equivalent English language test scores of at least 6.5 is required. Applicants who do not hold a valid English certificate at the time of the application, must indicate a clear plan with dates of how they seek to obtain the certificate.
How To Apply: To apply please send following documents in one PDF-file using this form indicating as reference 310:
- Updated Curriculum vitae inclusive of contact details of previous supervisors. (Max 3 pages)
- Statement of interest and motivation in doing the PhD in this research field along with the description of your research skills, experience and publications and a brief description of the current expertise and the master thesis project (Max 3 page)
- Recommendation letter(s) of your previous supervisors (Desirable). Alternatively the contact details of two academics who can provide a reference.
All applications will be handled confidentially. By submitting an application you consent to your application being shared with the other principle investigators of the NanoCarb consortium for the sole purpose of the candidate recruitment. Please note that only complete application sets will be considered.
EURAXESS offer ID: 350936
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.