ORGANISATION/COMPANYFAPESP - São Paulo Research Foundation
RESEARCHER PROFILEEstablished Researcher (R3)
APPLICATION DEADLINE10/12/2018 23:59 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONBrazil › São Paulo
TYPE OF CONTRACTTo be defined
The Fungal Bioluminescence Laboratory (LBF) of Chemistry Institute/University of São Paulo (IQ-USP), through the Thematic Project of FAPESP "Electronic Chemiexcitation in Biological Systems: Bioluminescence and 'Photochemistry in the Dark'”, offers a Post-doctoral position for foreign or Brazilian candidates, with PhD degree obtained for a maximum of 7 (seven) years.
We aim to investigate (radical or enzymatic) mechanisms of generation of electronically excited species in biological systems capable of causing damage to proteins and DNA hence triggering pathogenic responses. Among them, we mention cyclobutane dimerization of pyrimidines and mutagenesis, modification of hemeproteins with loss of peroxidase activity, and new sources of singlet oxygen and triplet carbonyl compounds in oxidative and carbonyl stress.
The project requires skills to synthesize:
a) Model compounds and probes for photochemical and spectroscopic studies of biomolecules associated with disorders; and
b) Luciferin derivatives of luminescent fungi and marine organisms with potential for the development of chemiluminescent analytical methods.
Kinetic studies, isotopic labelling and conventional photochemical and photophysical methods will be frequent experimental approaches in the development of the project. For more details, visit: www.iq.usp.br/ebechara/ e www.stevanilab.com.
The position is open to highly qualified Brazilians and foreigners. The candidate should preferably have training in the scientific fields of Chemistry, Pharmacy or Biology, have excellent CV and scientific knowledge in the research field of the stipend. It is essential that he can read, write and speak English and proven ability to write scientific articles. The selected candidate will be involved in the planning and execution of research projects and will act in the laboratory administration and co-advisory of undergraduate and graduate students. The professional should be familiar with bibliographic search tools, know how to plan and conduct experiments independently.
Among the knowledge and techniques necessary for the development of this project can be cited:
1. Conduction of kinetic experiments and measurement of enzymatic activity;
2. Purification of compounds by various chromatographic methods such as column chromatography and HPLC;
3. Spectroscopic analyzes by IR, NMR, UV-vis, EPR, fluorescence and MS;
4. Measurement of chemiluminescence and fluorescence quantum yields.
The scholarship duration is 48 months and can be extended for another year. Predicted start in February 2019.
Values and Conditions:
1. Monthly grant (free of taxes) of BRL7,373.10, plus 15% of the annual value for expenses related to the research (Technical Reserve);
2. Financial support for travel and installation expenses may be requested for the selected applicant who lives out of São Paulo and the merit will be evaluated by FAPESP upon acceptance of the stipend;
3. The candidate must have completed a doctorate not more than six years before the start of the stipend;
4. The stipend requires full dedication to the research project (except under the conditions described in resolution No. 13/2009 of July 15, 2009);
5. The grantee must not have any formal or informal employment, nor receive during the stipend a fellowship of another agency, salary or remuneration due to his/her activities of any nature.
For more details, visit: http://www.fapesp.br/en/5427.
How to Apply
The submission deadline is December 10, 2018. Registration exclusively by email (email@example.com). Please include as subject "Post-doctoral fellowship IQ-USP|Organic Physical- Chemistry/", followed by your name, with the following documents (Files in PDF format):
1. A text in English, with a maximum of 2 pages, explaining your motivations to work on this project;
2. Summarized CV (maximum 3 pages), including published papers attesting your suitability to carry out the project;
3. Two letters of recommendation sent directly by the referee to the email indicated above.
The selection will be made based on the CV of the candidate (experience in the area of research of the project and quality of publications), motivation and recommendation letters. Applicants might be invited to a personal interview or via Skype. Candidates will receive the selection list (classification) by email until January 10, 2019. The selected candidate must submit the necessary documents for FAPESP scholarship application within 15 days of his/her approval.
More information about the fellowship is at: fapesp.br/oportunidades/2468.
EURAXESS offer ID: 350798
Posting organisation offer ID: 2468
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.