ORGANISATION/COMPANYÉcole Pratique des Hautes Études (EPHE)
RESEARCH FIELDHistory › History of scienceTechnology › Dating techniquesTechnology › Instrumentation technologyTechnology › Materials technology
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE15/11/2018 23:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONFrance › Paris
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK35
OFFER STARTING DATE01/01/2019
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020 / ERC
One-year position / Ingénieur d’études sous contrat à durée déterminée
Location: CRC du Muséum National d’Histoire Naturelle, 57 Rue Cuvier, 75005 Paris
Gross monthly salary: 2 305,51 €
The Ecole Pratique des Hautes Etudes (EPHE) is a large institution of higher education and research, member of the Comue Paris Sciences et Lettres (PSL), and founding member of the Campus Condorcet project. The EPHE is established on several sites in France and French Polynesia.
- 1 year contract in the framework of the ERC project "History of the Tocharian texts of the Pelliot collection". This ERC project focuses on the study of Buddhist culture in the Kucha region of the Tarim Basin (present-day Xinjiang, China) in the second half of the 1st millennium CE. For this purpose, documents in Tocharian and in Sanskrit of the Pelliot Kuchean Collection, held in the French National Library (BNF), will be studied by both historians and linguists and physicochemists.
- Within this large project, the job consists in providing information on the manuscript material constituents in order to enhance the codicological knowledge of these documents and to help classify manuscripts by combining data from studying texts (linguistics, content of texts ...) and from scientific results achieved by material analysis. To do this, should be identified: tree species for documents on wooden tablets and fibers for paper documents, using mainly optical and digital microscopy techniques. Digital microscopy could also provide additional information by observing the surface of documents.
- She/He should Identify the materials (wood, paper) constituting the supports of manuscripts by microscopic techniques (optical, digital).
- She/He should Set up a non-invasive identification and analysis & testing protocol for wood and paper substrates by microscopy.
Analyzes on manuscripts shall be conducted at the BNF (Richelieu site) using transportable equipment (several weeks planned on site). Mission preparation and data processing will be done at the Centre de recherche sur la conservation (CRC) on the site of the Museum national d’histoire naturelle, Paris. At CRC, he / she will work under the responsibility of a research scientist in strong interaction with the various researchers of the laboratory involved in this project.
- She/He should work in Multidisciplinary collaboration with physicochemists and historians specializing in manuscripts studies
- She/He should take part in international meetings
- She/He should write papers on research works
REQUISITE SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- She/He should have a Good knowledge of plant anatomy and xylology,
- She/He should have a Good working knowledge of English and particularly in the scientific field
- Great interest in studying ancient manuscripts materials would be appreciated
- Good knowledge in the identification of wood species, and possibly of paper fibers
- Strong knowledge or even mastering optical and digital microscopy techniques.
- She/He should be predisposed to working independently and showing initiative while at the same time working cooperatively within the research team, and collaborative working relationships;
- She/He should be aware of health and safety rules
REQUISITE TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
Initial training in sciences, graduated with a Master degree
With a Specialty in Plant Anatomy
Previous experience in the characterization of ancient manuscripts will be appreciated
For further information, please contact:
firstname.lastname@example.org, +33 1 40 79 53 18
HOW TO APPLY
If you want to apply, please email your resume and your letter of motivation to :
email@example.com (Principal Investigator)
firstname.lastname@example.org (Project manager)
email@example.com (Scientific partner - supervisor)
EURAXESS offer ID: 350653
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.