ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversity of Cyprus
RESEARCH FIELDEngineeringInformation scienceMathematics
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE31/12/2018 14:00 - Europe/Athens
LOCATIONCyprus › Nicosia
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK140hrs/month
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020 / Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions
MARIE CURIE GRANT AGREEMENT NUMBER812991
The Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering of the University of Cyprus is seeking to appoint two high-calibre Early Stage Researchers (Special Scientist – Research Associate) to join the Marie Skłodowska-Curie Innovative Training Network on ‘energy-autonomous Portable Access points for INfrastructure-LESS networks - (PAINLESS)’.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Undertake postgraduate research in support of the agreed doctoral research project.
- Work closely with the academic supervisors to ensure the compatibility of the individual project with the overall goals of PAINLESS.
- Present and publish research to both academic and non-academic audiences.
- Attend and participate in academic and non-academic conferences, events and seminars.
- Attend and participate in all training events and supervisory meetings.
- Be seconded to other network partners as necessary to fulfil the grant obligations.
- Prepare progress reports and similar documents on research for funding bodies, as required.
- Contribute to the delivery and management of the wider Programme, including attending and participating in programme committee meetings.
As job descriptions cannot be exhaustive, the ESR may be required to undertake other duties, which are broadly in line with the above duties responsibilities.
The position is on a contract basis. A three year contract will be offered. The monthly salary (employer cost) will be in total € 3.301,02 or € 3.551,02 (including family allowance, if applicable). More specifically the monthly salary will include: living allowance €2.701,02, mobility allowance €600 and family allowance (if applicable ) €250 .
From this amount the University of Cyprus will deduct the employee and employer contributions and income tax. Income tax will be paid according to your annual income and the tax scale. Medical coverage in the public Medical System and 13th Salary are not provided. However UCY provides the opportunity to become a member of a medical scheme with your own contribution. Further details will be provided at the employment stage.
All candidates must meet the following requirements to be considered for this post:
1. Early-Stage Researchers (ESRs) shall at the time of recruitment by the host organisation be in the first four years (full-time equivalent research experience) of their research careers and not yet have been awarded a doctoral degree. Full-time equivalent research experience is measured from the date when a researcher obtained the degree which would formally entitle him or her to embark on a doctorate, either in the country in which the degree was obtained or in the country in which the researcher is recruited.
2. At the time of recruitment by the host organisation, researchers must not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in the country of their host organisation for more than 12 months in the three years immediately prior to the recruitment date. Compulsory national service and/or short stays such as holidays are not taken into account.
The selection and recruitment processes of the ESRs will be in accordance with the European Charter and Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers. The recruitment process will be open, transparent, impartial, equitable, and merit-based. There will be no overt/covert discrimination based on race, gender, sexual orientation, religion or belief, disability or age. To this end, the following selection criteria for the recruitment of the ESRs will be considered:
- Curriculum vitae
- Academic performance (diplomas, university transcripts, etc.)
- Research and industrial experience
- Awards and fellowships
- Publications and patents
- Research, leadership, and creativity potential
- English knowledge
- Other relevant items based on the specific candidate
The recruitment process will adhere to the guidelines described in the Grant Agreement of the PAINLESS project. At the network’s level, the recruitment panel will include a minimum of 3 members of the project in order to guarantee gender- and sector-balance.
Applications close on 31st December 2018 and the selected candidates will be recruited no later than the 1st October 2019. Interested applicants are invited to apply to both positions of ESR4 and ESR12, and to express their preference for one of them if they prefer to. The applications will be analysed after the application deadline, and the shortlisted candidates will be invited to a Skype interview.
ESR4 and ESR12 will be enrolled on the PhD programme at the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Cyprus and will write their thesis on a topic related to Advanced signal processing techniques for wireless powered backscattering communications (ESR4) and System level analysis of WPT/SWIPT for millimetre wave communications (ESR12), supervised by Prof. Ioannis Krikidis at the University of Cyprus for the entire duration of their PhD programme. Both ESRs will also benefit from secondments to other project partners of the PAINLESS project. For further details regarding the roles ESR4 and ESR12 please visit http://ucy.ac.cy/hr/el/teaching-and-research-assistant-staff
- Undergraduate degree and a postgraduate Master’s degree (or equivalent) in electronic or electrical engineering, or a physical sciences subject.
- Excellent written and verbal communication, including presentation skills.
- Highly proficient English language skills.
- Excellent organisational skills, attention to detail and the ability to meet deadlines.
- Ability to think logically, create solutions and make informed decisions.
- Willingness to work collaboratively in a research environment.
- A strong commitment to their own continuous professional development.
- Ability to travel and work across Europe.
EURAXESS offer ID: 348643