ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversité Libre de Bruxelles (ULB)
RESEARCH FIELDChemistry › Combinatorial chemistryChemistry › Molecular chemistryChemistry › Organic chemistry
RESEARCHER PROFILERecognised Researcher (R2)
APPLICATION DEADLINE03/11/2018 23:00 - Europe/Athens
LOCATIONBelgium › Brussels
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK38
OFFER STARTING DATE01/01/2019
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020 / ERC
The Engineering of Molecular NanoSystems laboratory of the Université libre de Bruxelles (ULB) offers a two-year postdoctoral fellowship for a highly motivated organic chemist to work on the synthesis and development of supramolecular receptors for nucleotides.
This fellowship is offered in the context of a project for excellent research funded by the European Research Council (ERC) aimed at the development of molecular transmembrane transporters for phosphorylated biomolecules.
In biology, lipid bilayer membranes function as impermeable barriers for ionic and hydrophilic species, which can only cross the membrane with the aid of dedicated membrane proteins. Synthetic organic compounds can also be used to transport ions of interest across membranes. They need to bind the ion in order to extract it from the aqueous phase into the bilayer, to then move across the membrane and to release the ion on the other side. The development of such mobile ion carriers is of interest for biochemical research and pharmaceutical or biotechnological applications.
The aim of the project is to develop synthetic anion receptors that are able to bind biologically relevant phosphorylated compounds, such as nucleotides. In the next stage of the project, the ability of these receptors to transport phosphates and nucleotides across membranes will be investigated.
The successful applicant will primarily work on the synthesis of receptors for phosphoryl groups and nucleotides. This involves the preparation of building blocks and their subsequent assembly into receptors using a Dynamic Combinatorial Chemistry approach. The methodology for this approach will be developed. The interactions between the synthesised receptors and phosphorylated guests will be investigated using various physicochemical methods including NMR, microcalorimetry, and optical spectroscopy.
The successful applicant will work closely with a PhD student and potential Master students, and be involved in their supervision. English and French are the languages spoken in the laboratory but all results will be disseminated in English (seminars, written reports, and articles). Participation in international conferences will be encouraged.
The net amount of the fellowship will be ~€2400/month.
- EU Citizens and citizens from countries that have a bilateral social security agreement with Belgium: social security coverage including medical insurance, unemployment benefit, retirement pension, maternity leave and child benefit.
- Non-EU Citizens from countries that have no bilateral social security agreement with Belgium: social security coverage including medical insurance, maternity leave and child benefit.
- Insurance against accidents in the workplace.
- Tax exemption.
- Low-cost private hospitalization insurance.
- On-site services at the ULB: medical centre, university hospital, sports centre, subsidized restaurants, cultural centre, crèche, activities for children…
- Applicants of any nationality are eligible.
- Eligible applicants hold a PhD degree which has been awarded maximum 8 years ago by the 1st of January 2019.
- Eligible applicants must not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in Belgium for more than 24 months during the 3 years preceding the start of the fellowship.
Applications should be sent by email to email@example.com no later than the 3rd of November 2018 and should include:
- a cover letter motivating the application
- a CV, including a list of publications and communications
- contact details of two persons that can provide a reference
The selection procedure will start shortly after the 3rd of November.
Feel free to contact Dr. Hennie Valkenier (firstname.lastname@example.org) should you have any questions.
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELChemistry: PhD or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Excellent
- Strong background in synthetic organic chemistry
- Able to synthesise novel compounds and develop robust synthetic protocols
- Experienced in the structural characterisation of organic compounds
- Familiar with the concepts of Supramolecular Chemistry
- Team worker
- Creativity and problem-solving skills
- Excellent communication skills in English
- Excellent past achievements
Hands-on experience with Dynamic Combinatorial Chemistry, High Pressure Liquid Chromatography (HPLC), and Supramolecular Chemistry will be advantages.
EURAXESS offer ID: 338695
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.