ORGANISATION/COMPANYMax Planck Institute for Polymer Research
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE15/12/2019 12:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONGermany › Mainz
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40
OFFER STARTING DATE01/01/2020
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020 / Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions
MARIE CURIE GRANT AGREEMENT NUMBER722479
LubISS, Lubricant Impregnated Slippery Surfaces, is the first European Training Network with the main objectives of designing, characterizing, and modelling low adhesive easy-to-clean surfaces for anti-icing and anti-fouling. In a coordinated effort among 9 world-class academic institutions and industrial partners from 6 European countries (Finland, France, Germany, Great Britain, Netherlands, Switzerland), advanced lubricant impregnated surfaces will be developed.
Societal, environmental, industrial motivations
Millions of tons of surfactant and aggressive chemicals are annually used to clean surfaces, bottles, storage jars, for de-icing of wind power turbines, aircrafts, or power lines. A deeper understanding of interplay among the physical- and chemical interactions between the solid surface topography, the lubricating film and the liquid under static and flow conditions is required to solve these challenges.
LubISS aims to provide early stage researchers with excellent cross-disciplinary education in (i) fundamental and practical concepts in physical and chemical surface science and (ii) management, communication and mentorship skills required to become future leaders in academics or industry.
For further details see: www.Lubiss.eu
- Beneficiaries: Max Planck Institute for Polymer Research (MPI-P), University of Oxford, Tampere University of Technology (TUT), ESPCI ParisTech, University of Twente (TW), Airbus Group Innovations (AGI), German North West Textile Research Centre (DTNW ÖP GmbH), Millidyne OY, University of Zurich
- Partner Organizations: Evonik Resource Efficiency GmbH, Molecular Machines & Industries GmbH, Nestec Ltd.
Description of the position
The project foresees theoretical or experimental investigations of lubricant impregnated surfaces with special focus on understanding the stability of the lubricating layer under still or flow conditions. The lubricating film can be washed away with moving liquid. To optimize the stability of the lubricating film, we aim to explore the consequences of the surface topography, the type and composition of lubricating film and the liquid. To understand the meaning of the different parameters, we also aim to investigate how the lubricant can be removed most efficiently. The working location will be one of the host organizations of the LubISS network and will be decided within the consortium in the next future.
The project provides full funding for tuition fees and salary.
The successful candidate will receive:
- Living allowance (multiplied by the country correction factor which varies between 0.98 and 1.2): 3110 euros per month.
- Mobility allowance: 600 euros per month.
- Family allowance (if applicable): 500 euros per month.
For further information please go to: http://ec.europa.eu/research/participants/data/ref/h2020/wp/2016_2017/ma...
*ESR (early stage researcher) shall at the time of recruitment by the host organization be in the first four years of his/her research career.
- Applicants may be on a PhD program but cannot be PhD holders at the day of signing their employment contract.
- The position is open to applicants of all nationalities provided that the European Commission's Mobility Rule is satisfied: "At the time of recruitment by the host organization, researchers may not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in the country of their host organization for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately prior to the reference date. Short stays such as holidays and/or compulsory national service are not taken into account."
- Maximum and preferred period of employment: 12 months.
Applications should include:
- a Curriculum Vitae
- a copy of your last (highest) qualification
- a letter of motivation (maximum one page long)
- the contact details of two referees.
Web site for additional job details
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELPhysics: Master Degree or equivalentChemistry: Master Degree or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Good
Experience on wetting desired
Background in physics or chemistry
EURAXESS offer ID: 333516
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.