ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversité catholique de Louvain
RESEARCH FIELDComputer science › Modelling toolsMathematics › Probability theoryPhysics › Applied physics
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE03/08/2018 12:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONBelgium › Brussels
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK38
OFFER STARTING DATE01/10/2018
Proton therapy offers great potential to improve external radiotherapy treatment because of the peak of energy deposited by protons at the end of a well-defined range ('Bragg peak'). However, the range of the protons is very sensitive to anatomical and physical uncertainties, which jeopardizes the quality of the treatment.
Treatment plans can be made robust to these uncertainties by incorporating them directly in the optimization process ('robust optimization'). However, each type of uncertainty should ideally be modeled individually, which can be extremely demanding computationally and in terms of memory requirements.
The aim of this research project is to reduce the burden over the optimizer by selecting uncertainties that have a significant effect and by simplifying their modelling.
The PhD project is funded by a Televie grant for 2 periods of 2 years. The chance of getting the second part of the funding is very high provided that adequate work has been accomplished.
- An enthusiastic multidisciplinary environment on the UCL-Saint-Luc campus.
- A forefront research project linked to the first Belgian proton therapy center (first patient expected in 2019)
- A collaboration with IBA and KULeuven.
- A project in a hot topic that will ultimately lead to publications with high impact.
The selection process will be divided in two phases:
- Pre-selection based on applications submitted.
- Personal interview
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELEngineering: Master Degree or equivalentComputer science: Master Degree or equivalentPhysics: Master Degree or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: GoodFRENCH: Good
- Be experienced with external beam radiotherapy technologies. Clinical experience as a medical physicist is a must.
- Be interested in an intensive research experience of 4 years
- Enjoy scientific programming (knowledge of MATLAB is highly appreciated).
- Be comfortable with mathematical concepts.
- Average to good skills in oral and written English.
EURAXESS offer ID: 319792
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.