ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversity of Liège (ULiege)
RESEARCH FIELDComputer science › Database managementComputer science › Modelling toolsComputer science › Programming
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE31/10/2018 23:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONBelgium › Liège
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK38
OFFER STARTING DATE01/09/2018
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020 / Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions
MARIE CURIE GRANT AGREEMENT NUMBER766347
BioMedaqu project: Aquaculture meets Biomedicine: Innovation in Skeletal Health research (http://www.giga.uliege.be/biomedaqu).
BioMedaqu is a Marie Sklodowska-Curie Innovative Training Network (MCSA-ITN) with the primary research aim to create an innovative expertise combining research in skeletal biology of aquaculture fish species with that in biomedical models and humans. In total, 15 Early Stage Researchers (ESRs) will be appointed by the BioMedaquconsortium for 36 months each. It aims to bring together the expertise and research approaches from the aquaculture field and the biomedical sector using model fish species.
Specifically, the Montefiore Institute (http://www.montefiore.uliege.be) at the University of Liège, Belgium has an opening for a PhD candidate to work on the development of novel deep/machine learning algorithms for quantitative multimodal bioimage analysis.
More specifically, this PhD project entails the development of novel algorithms to automatically locate, measure, and classify elements in multimodal biomedical images with a specific focus on skeletal development applications. These algorithms will be disseminated to a wide audience through the open-source Cytomine web-based softwareplatform (http://uliege.cytomine.org).
The ideal candidate should have a Master in Computer Science orBiomedical Engineering, with a taste for deep/machine learning and modern software programming. The candidate will be supervised by senior scientific staff with a background in computer science (Prof. Wehenkel, Prof. Geurts, Dr. Raphaël Marée) in collaboration with biomedical researchers (Dr. Marc Muller) and other project partners.
MSCA-ITN offers an attractive salary and working conditions. A unique feature of MSCA-ITN is that during the PhD research, ESR PhD students will be given the opportunity to perform secondments at the facilities of other consortium members. ESR PhD students will benefit from a dedicated training program in the various fields of expertise of the consortium partners. Salary is complemented with a mobility allowance.
MSCA-ITN eligibility criteria:
There are strict eligibility requirements for the ESR PhD positions in MSCA-ITN. Please ensure that you qualify before applying, as ineligible candidates cannot be considered.
Requirement 1 (early-stage researchers):Applicants must, at the date of recruitment by BioMedAqu, be in the first four years (full-time equivalent research experience measured from the date when the researcher obtained the degree entitling him/her to embark on a doctorate) of their research careers and have not been awarded a doctoral degree.
Requirement 2 (mobility rule):Applicants must not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in the country of the recruiting institution for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately before the recruitment date. Compulsory national service, short stays such as holidays, and time spent as part of a procedure for obtaining refugee status under the Geneva Convention are not taken into account.
Requirement 3 (specialisation): Candidates should have a master level degree or equivalent in Computer Science or Biomedical Engineering.
For more information on MSCA-ITN, visit http://ec.europa.eu/research/mariecurieactions/index_en.htm
The selection process is carried out according to the principles stated in the European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Conduct for Recruitment of Researchers (https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/european-charter).
Application should be sent by mail or Email to the indicated contact person, including:
1) signed, detailed, CV possibly in europass format;
2) a cover letter detailing candidate's suitability for the position including an outline of professional and research experiences and research interests;
3) at least 2 signed letter of references OR names, affiliations and contacts of two referees supporting your application;
4) certificated copy of the of the last (highest) University degree diploma;
5) certificated copy of the academic transcript;
6) declaration of the English language knowledge;
7) copy of a valid Identity Document;
8) other documents/titles deemed useful for the application.
Each single attachment has to be attached in .pdf format.
The applicant may apply for one or more research project, sending one application for each selected project.
Interviews will be carried out either directly or by web conference
Web site for additional job details
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELComputer science: Master Degree or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Excellent
The ideal candidate should have a Master in Computer Science or Biomedical Engineering, with a taste for deep/machine learning and modern software programming.
- Enrol in a PhD by research programme and carry out the research and training activities specified by a personal career development plan (PCDP).
- Conduct research in the following topical areas: skeletal development and integrity, nutrition, environment, bone cell culture, molecular tools and methods, artificial intelligence, supervised learning, socio-economic studies.
· Undertake mandatory training programs and secondments as required at the facilities of other consortium members such as Italy, Norway, France, Portugal, Belgium, Spain, Germany, and the United States.
- Actively participate in PhD training activities and submit a thesis in fulfilment of the requirements of a PhD degree.
· Participate in outreach and dissemination activities promoting the BioMedaqu project and the Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions (MSCA) programme including the use of social media, video-diaries, newsletters, etc.
- Prepare regular progress reports on the performed research and training activities and present the research outcomes at meetings, project workshops, and to external audiences to disseminate and publicise research findings.
· Work closely with academic and industrial collaborators and facilitate knowledge transfer between the BioMedaqu consortium.
· As a MSCA ITN Ambassador carry out undergraduate supervision/demonstrating/teaching duties under supervisor direction and according to university regulations.
- Study and follow the technical literature including academic papers, journals and textbooks to keep abreast with the state-of-the-art in the project topical area.
- Record, analyse and write up results of research work and contribute to the production of research reports and publications.
- Carry out routine administrative duties as requested, e.g. arranging research programme group meetings, maintaining research programme group website, contributing to organisation of BioMedaqu project training workshops and events.
EURAXESS offer ID: 315826