ORGANISATION/COMPANYInstitute of Oceanology Polish Academy of Sciences
RESEARCH FIELDEnvironmental science › Earth science
RESEARCHER PROFILERecognised Researcher (R2)
APPLICATION DEADLINE16/07/2018 15:00 - Europe/London
LOCATIONPoland › Sopot
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40
OFFER STARTING DATE02/09/2018
Open call for post-doc position at Institute of Oceanology Polish Academy of Sciences in Sopot, Poland, in Polish National Science Centre funded project
Project main objective: To study seasonal changes in environmental gradients, further modified by the anthropogenic impacts, influence on benthic communities, their trophic relations and functioning, and related implications for C, N, P fluxes, in the shallow southern Baltic Sea
Project PI: Dr Monika Kędra, Assoc. Prof. (http://www.iopan.gda.pl/ekologia/monika.html)
In collaboration with: Dr Emma Michaud (Laboratory of Marine Environmental Sciences - LEMAR,France; https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Emma_Michaud)
Post-doc is expected to work within the Polish National Science Centre funded project: Coastal Ecosystem functioning under different anthropogenic pressure - linking Benthic communities And biogeochemical Cycling in the southern Baltic Sea (COmEBACk).
The successful candidate is expected to demonstrate an experience and work on the following issues:
- take part in cruises and field work,
- perform ex situ experiments including sediment oxygen demand, nutrient fluxes and bioturbation,
- analyse ecological and biogeochemical data, including use of advanced statistics,
- work with students involved in the project,
- be independent, as well as a part of the group,
- present results of work during seminars and scientific conferences,
- write high quality scientific articles.
Salary: Candidate will be hired at Institute of Oceanology PAN (post-doc, adjunct) from September 2018 for 18 months with optional extension. Salary is in range of 7800 PLN gross (about 5500 PLN after taxes).
1) Motivation letter (in English)
2) Detailed CV (in English) with a list of the papers;
3) Copy of the Ph.D. diploma;
4) Three the most important papers authored by the candidate;
5) References from two referees;
6) Interview might be requested (via skype).
Web site for additional job details
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Excellent
- To be considered for this position, the applicant should possess a PhD degree in the area of oceanography, biology, chemistry or related disciplines.
- The candidate should have an extensive knowledge on the ecology of benthic organisms (community structure, food webs) and marine biogeochemical processes including carbon and nutrient cycling.
- Field and sea work experience is required (cruises, ex situ experiments on sediment oxygen demand, bioturbation and nutrient fluxes). The candidate should have experience in ecological and chemistry laboratory work including benthic fauna community analysis, stable isotopes, carbon and nutrients analysis.
- The candidate should be able to work in an interdisciplinary team, to solve scientific problems and to face new challenges.
- Excellent verbal and writing skills in English are required.
- Baltic Sea related experience is valued but not necessary asset.
The candidates must be within 7 years after their Ph.D. but 18 months extensions are allowed per every child for women with children.
EURAXESS offer ID: 308874