ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversity of Groningen
RESEARCH FIELDBiological sciences › Biological engineeringEngineering › Biomedical engineeringEngineering › Chemical engineeringPhysics › Biophysics
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE20/01/2019 12:00 - Europe/Brussels
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40
OFFER STARTING DATE01/03/2019
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020 / Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions COFUND
MARIE CURIE GRANT AGREEMENT NUMBER713482
We are gaining increasing evidence that cellular metabolism is key for health and disease. For instance, we showed that bacteria enter the medically relevant state of persistence, i.e. a state where cells are tolerant against antibiotics, upon perturbations in metabolism. It is thus of utmost importance that we gain further understanding about how metabolism functions.
To this end, we recently developed a new method for flux balance analysis (FBA), with which we can generate much better metabolic flux predictions compared to the classical methods. We now would like to combine this new method with 13C labeling experiments to unravel intracellular metabolic fluxes with unprecedented accuracy. We hope that this new method will also allow to determine metabolic fluxes, when cells grow in complex medium, which is a major challenge in the field.
Thus, we are looking for a researcher with an interest in metabolism, willing to work at the interface between metabolic modeling and experimental analyses. The work will comprise development of new computational methods and application of those on highly-relevant examples, for instance, antibiotic-tolerant persister cells.
• A fulltime employment contract for the duration of 4 years. Note that the fulltime appointment is temporary for 1 year with the perspective of prolongation for another 3 years. After nine months, an evaluation will take place of the feasibility of successful completion of the PhD thesis within the next three years. The research has to result in a PhD thesis at the end of the employment period.
• The gross monthly salary starts with € 2,174 in the first year and increases to € 2,779 in the fourth year of your employment.
• The most important criteria are i) enthusiasm, ii) excellence, iii) commitment to research and iv) team spirit.
• Educational background preferably in the area of biotechnology, synthetic/systems biology, or biophysics.
• Candidates need to have completed a European Master’s degree or equivalent prior to starting date of the project. Candidates have to be in their first four years of their research career and not yet be awarded with a doctoral degree at the time of recruitment.
• Excellent proficiency in English language.
• Open for all nationalities. In compliance with the EU mobility rule, at the time of deadline, candidates shall not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies) in the Netherlands for more than 12 months in the 3 years prior to the application deadline.
• Only applications that are complete, in English and submitted before the deadline will be considered eligible.
After the deadline, applications will be first checked for whether the eligibility criteria are fulfilled. Second, a short list will be made on the basis of the indicators of previous success and motivation. Third, shortlisted candidates will invited for an interview. Note, the starting date can be between July-September 2018.
The position is part of the ALERT-COFUND international PhD program, jointly hosted by the University of Groningen and the University Medical Center Groningen. The ALERT program aims to develop novel tailor-made antimicrobials and delivery strategies, from synthesis towards clinical applications. Under the supervision of top scientists in different fields and sectors related to antimicrobial research, 19 PhDs are conducting research within four main areas: chemical synthesis, biotechnological production of antimicrobials, nanotechnology approaches and in vivo testing. As a PhD student in the ALERT program, you will also participate in specialist advanced courses and training schools, complemented by workshops on generic research and transferable skills. In addition, you will have the opportunity to go abroad on international secondments at leading places in academia and industry.
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Excellent
Candidates should have a background in either biotechnology, engineering, systems biology, biophysics, or similar, and should be interested in (metabolic) modeling. Basic knowledge in metabolism is a plus. The candidates should have good command of English (oral and written) and possess excellent communication skills.
EURAXESS offer ID: 304943
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.