ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversité Libre de Bruxelles (ULB)
RESEARCH FIELDArts › Visual arts
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE02/07/2018 12:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONBelgium › Brussels
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK38
OFFER STARTING DATE01/10/2018
Emotions on Demand: Structures of Sentiment in Lantern Series and their Performance
The partners of the B-MAGIC project invite applications for the following position:
- Starting date October 1, 2018
- Full time position for 24 months with the possibility of renewal for another 24 months
- Gross monthly salary: approx. 2.800 (this includes social insurances)
- Location: CiASp - Centre de recherche en cinema et spectacle vivant, Université libre de Bruxelles.
The position is offered in the framework of the “B-magic. The Magic Lantern and its Cultural Impact as Visual Mass Medium in Belgium (1830-1940)” project (B-MAGIC).
B-MAGIC is a four-year project, funded by the Belgian research programme Excellence of Science. It started in February 2018 and is led by Prof. Dr. Kurt Vanhoutte (University of Antwerp). This project will write the as yet unwritten history of the magic lantern as a mass medium in Belgium. In doing so, it will make an essential contribution to the study of the country's cultural history as well as to international media historiography. It aims to rediscover the various functions of the lantern performance within the Belgian public sphere, in particular, its use in the transmission and negotiation of knowledge, norms and values by different societal groups. Scientists and entertainers, teachers and priests, political movements and organizations: they all used projected visual narratives to inform, entertain, educate and mobilize audiences of up to more than a thousand people per occasion. The lantern was the first visual mass medium to contest the printed word as a primary mode of information and instruction. All layers of society, both literate and illiterate, received visual information about nature, religion, science, new technologies and foreign countries. The B-MAGIC consortium will research the pivotal role of the magic lantern in Belgian society from the country's independence (1830) up to 1940, when its use declined. To this end, it brings together an interdisciplinary team of researchers from Performance Studies, Cinema and Media Studies, Urban History, History of Science and Knowledge, Communication Studies, Semiotics, and Narratology. B-MAGIC will produce the first comprehensive study of the role of the magic lantern as a mass medium in a country. For more information and other available vacancies see www.B-magic.eu
The successful candidate will work on a separate sub-project entitled “Emotions on Demand: Structures of Sentiment in Lantern Series and their Performance” ” supervised by prof. Dominique Nasta (arts du spectacle) and prof. Karel Vanhaesebrouck (arts du spectacle vivant). A short project description can be found on the B-magic website via the following link: https://www.uantwerpen.be/en/projects/b-magic/research-program/program-d....
- You hold a master degree in film studies, theatre studies, art history, or related areas.
- You are trained in analysing historical images and familiar with the language of texts written in the 19th century.
- You know how to retrieve your own source material in archives and museums.
- You can achieve outstanding academic results.
- Your academic qualities comply with the requirements stipulated in the university’s policy.
- You are quality-oriented, conscientious, creative and cooperative.
- You are willing and able to work, communicate and travel within a broader team of international researchers.
- You must be able to demonstrate language proficiency in English (written and spoken); (passive) language proficiency in French is recommended (or willingness to learn).
- Students in the final year of their degree are also encouraged to apply.
How to apply?
- Applicants should send (i) a statement of experience, qualification and interest, (ii) a complete CV, and (iii) two letters of recommendation via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org by 2 July 2018 at the latest.
- A pre-selection will be made from amongst the submitted applications. The remainder of the selection procedure is specific to the position and will be determined by the selection panel.
- Candidates, selected to take part in interviews, will be notified by 20 July, 2018. The interviews will take place between 21 and 27 August 2018. Candidates will be expected to propose a research plan on the basis of the proposed subproject at the interview.
- For questions about the profile and the description of duties, please contact Sabine Lenk at S.email@example.com
Candidates that would like to find out more about the project are welcome (but not obliged) to attend The Travelling Lantern symposium on 18 May. More information on the symposium is available on the project website www.b-magic.eu .
EURAXESS offer ID: 304250
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.