ORGANISATION/COMPANYConsiglio Nazionale delle Richerche (CNR-IREA)
RESEARCH FIELDEngineering › Biomedical engineeringEngineering › Communication engineeringEngineering › Computer engineeringEngineering › Electrical engineeringEngineering › Electronic engineeringPhysics
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE30/10/2019 17:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONItaly › Napoli
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK36
OFFER STARTING DATE01/01/2020
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020 / Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions
MARIE CURIE GRANT AGREEMENT NUMBER764479
The main research topic of the offered Early Stage Researcher (PhD) position will be the design, implementation and testing of microwave imaging tools to process data collected by means of devices developed within the EMERALD network for clinical follow-up and image guided treatment (e.g. chemotherapy follow-up, hyperthermia monitoring, image-guide thermal ablation).
The main objectives of the planned research activities will be:
- Develop ad-hoc microwave imaging tools for clinical follow-up
- Develop improved performance tools (e.g., HW acceleration)
- Validate the imaging algorithms with the experimental phantoms
- Develop fusion and cross-validation architectures for reliable diagnosis
The PhD candidate will be enrolled in the PhD program at Sapienza University in Rome and will carry out her/his activities mainly at CNR-IREA in Naples, Italy.
Several secondments are planned during the PhD studies: in Italy at ELEDIA laboratory – University of Trento, in Switzerland at Inselspital, in Germany at Ilmenau University and in Turkey at MITOS technology.
This ESR/PhD position is part of the Marie Skłodowska-Curie Innovative Training Network “EMERALD - ElectroMagnetic imaging for a novel genERation of medicAL Devices”, funded by the European Union’s Horizon 2020 Research and Innovation Programme.
EMERALD is the coherent action of leading European engineering groups involved in electromagnetic (EM) technology for medical imaging to form a cohort of highly-skilled researchers capable of accelerating the translation of this technology “from research bench to patient bedside”. EM imaging technology involves the illumination of the portion of the body under investigation with low-power non-ionizing EM waves in the microwave range of the frequency spectrum and the use of the resultant backscattered signals to generate images of the internal structure of the body.
The objective pursued by EMERALD is to accelerate translation of research in EM medical imaging into clinical prototypes. To this end, EMERALD will establish a group of 13 outstanding early stage researchers (ESRs) who will be the European leaders in this field, through a unique scientific and training programme. The EMERALD consortium involves academic institutions, industrial partners, hospitals and university medical centers.
The EMERALD trained researchers will drive the future developments of EM imaging technology, thanks to the targeted skills they will attain, and their established connections with clinicians and stakeholders.
The successful candidate will receive an attractive salary in accordance with the MSCA regulations for Early Stage Researchers. The exact salary will be confirmed upon appointment, but may vary between €38.000,00 gross/year and €43.000,00 gross/year. The salary includes a living allowance, a mobility allowance and a family allowance (if applicable).
The duration of the contract is two years. At the end of the 24 months contract, financial support will be given with another scholarship to complete the PhD course, if needed. In addition to the individual scientific project, the successful candidate will benefit from further continuing education, which includes internships and secondments, a variety of training modules, as well as transferable skills courses and active participation in workshops and conferences.
All candidates must comply with the Marie Sklodowska-Curie Actions eligibility requirements (see page 19 of the guide for applicants). In particular candidates:
- must be within the first four years (full-time equivalent) of their research career;
- must not yet have been awarded a doctoral degree;
- must carry out trans-national mobility and not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) within the host country for more than 12 months in the three years immediately prior to recruitment (short stays such as holidays are not taken into account).
The candidates are bound to have by September 30, 2019 a Master of Science degree (i.e. 2nd level title, as defined by the Bologna Process), issued by an officially recognized academic institution, which grants admission in PhD programmes in the country of issuance, in order to be eligible for PhD at Sapienza University of Rome.
The application as PDF files has to be sent by e-mail to the Director of Institute IREA-CNR, firstname.lastname@example.org, using annexes A, B and C of the call IREA-AR013-2019-NA, available at CNR call public repository.
The call and the annex can be downloaded here (English part at the end of the document).
The following documents in Pdf format must be attached to the application: (all the documents that have to be submitted must be written in Italian or English)
- Application form (Annex A);
- Curriculum vitae with list of publications (dated and signed on each page) under declaration ex art. 46 and 47 Italian Law DPR 445/2000, using annex B1 for candidates from EU countries or annex B2 for candidates from extra EU countries;
- Letter of motivation in which the candidate expresses his/her interest in the research activity to be carried out and the reasons why he/she considers to be suitable for the position;
- Up to 3 (three) reference letters by scholars, researchers or professors;
- Annex C for personal data protection;
- Degree certificate, final mark and marks of all examinations and the duration of the degree courses;
- A valid identity document;
- Other documents relevant for the vacancy (i.e. technical reports, monographs, chapters of book, patents).
TYPE OF SELECTION:
The submitted applications will be evaluated by IREA-CNR. A list of applications accepted with reserve will be set up. These candidates will be invited for an interview to be held on November 21, 2019 at 11:00 a.m. (local time), at IREA CNR premises, Via Diocleziano 328, 80124 Napoli (Italy).
It is possible to do the interview by videoconference, upon candidate request in written form sent with the application form (Annex A). The candidate must provide with all the necessary information to make the connection. During the interview, the candidate will have to show same identity document presented along with the application.
CNR-IREA and Sapienza University guarantee equal gender opportunities for the provision of grants
Web site for additional job details
Required Research Experiences
YEARS OF RESEARCH EXPERIENCE1 - 4
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Good
- Experience with main programming languages (Matlab / C / C++)
- Basic knowledge of EM fields and antennas
- Microwave Imaging, Image processing, Signal processing
- Experience with EM modelling software tools
EURAXESS offer ID: 303119
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.