ORGANISATION/COMPANYConsiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche (CNR-IREA)
RESEARCH FIELDEngineering › Biomedical engineeringEngineering › Communication engineeringEngineering › Computer engineeringEngineering › Electrical engineeringEngineering › Electronic engineeringPhysics
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE06/06/2018 23:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONItaly › Napoli
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEKN/A
OFFER STARTING DATE01/10/2018
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020 / Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions
MARIE CURIE GRANT AGREEMENT NUMBER764479
The main research topic of the offered PhD position will bethe design, implementation and testing of microwave imaging tools to process data collected by means of devices developed within the EMERALD network for clinical follow-up and image guided treatment (e.g. chemotherapy follow-up, hyperthermia monitoring, image-guide thermal ablation).
The main objectives of the planned research activities will be:
- Develop ad-hoc microwave imaging tools for clinical follow-up
- Develop improved performance tools (e.g.,HW acceleration)
- Validate the imaging algorithms with the experimental phantoms
- Develop fusion and cross-validation architectures for reliable diagnosis
The PhD candidate will join the PhD program of the ICT International Doctoral School at the University of Trento and will carry out her/his activities mainly at CNR-IREA in Naples, Italy.
Moreover, several secondments are planned during the PhD studies: in Serbia at WIPL-D and at the School of Electric Engineering of Belgrade University, in Switzerland at Inselspital of Bern, in Germany at Ilmenau University and in Turkey at MITOS technology.
This PhD position is part of the Marie Skłodowska-Curie Innovative Training Network “EMERALD - ElectroMagnetic imaging for a novelgenERation of medicAL Devices”, funded by the European Union’s Horizon 2020 Research and Innovation Programme.
EMERALD is the coherent action of leading European engineering groups involved in electromagnetic (EM) technology for medical imaging to form a cohort of highly-skilled researchers capable of accelerating the translation of this technology “from research bench to patient bedside”. EM imaging technology involves the illumination of the portion of the body under investigation with low-power non-ionizing EM waves in the microwave spectrum and the use of the resultant backscattered signals to generate images of the internal structure of the body.
The objective pursued by EMERALD is to accelerate translation of research in EM medical imaging into clinical prototypes. To this end, EMERALD will establish a group of 13 outstanding early stage researchers (ESRs) who will be the European leaders in this field, through a unique scientific and training programme. The EMERALD consortium involves academic institutions, industrial partners, hospitals and university medical centers.
The EMERALD trained researchers will drive the future developments of EM imaging technology, thanks to the targeted skills they will attain, and their established connections with clinicians and stakeholders.
The successful candidates will receive an attractive salary in accordance with the MSCA regulations for Early Stage Researchers. The exact salary will be confirmed upon appointment, but may vary between €38.000,00 gross/year and €43.000,00 gross/year. The salary includes a living allowance, a mobility allowance and a family allowance (if applicable). The guaranteed PhD funding is for 36 months. In addition to their individual scientific projects, the successful candidate will benefit from further continuing education, which includes internships and secondments, a variety of training modules as well as transferable skills courses and active participation in workshops and conferences.
All candidates must comply with the Marie Sklodowska-Curie Actions eligibility requirements (see page 19 of the guide for applicants ). In particular candidates:
- must be within the first four years (full-time equivalent) of their research career;
- must not yet have been awarded a doctoral degree;
- must carry out trans-national mobility and not have resided or carried out their main activity (work,studies, etc.) within the host country for more than 12 months in the three years immediately prior to recruitment (short stays such as holidays are not taken into account).
To be eligible for a PhD at University of Trento, students are bound to have by August 31, 2018 a Master of Science degree (i.e. 2nd level title, as defined by the Bologna Process), issued by an officially recognized academic institution, which grants admission in PhD programmes in the country of issuance.
In order to apply, candidates are required to provide the following documents to the email address email@example.com:
- full CV, demonstrating their personal study career and proving that they match the eligibility criteria already described above;
- motivation letter;
- certificate of Master of Science degree with final mark, if already obtained;
- certificate of transcript of records for the Master of Science career, with marks;
- any other official document which can be useful for the purpose of declaring the conformity of the title (i.e., diploma supplement, declaration of value).
- if obtained, certificate attesting English level
All the certificates and official documents shall be issued by the relevant university in one of the following languages: Italian, English, French, Portuguese or Spanish.
Candidates need to prove that they are eligible according to with the Marie Sklodowska-Curie Actions eligibility requirements (see page 19 of the guide for applicants).
Candidates will be assessed by a Committee specifically appointed by CNR-IREA and University of Trento. They will be evaluated based on their resumes and on an interview, either in person or by telematic way. Good English level will be considered a preferential title.
CNR-IREA and University of Trento guarantee equal gender opportunities for the provision of grants
Web site for additional job details
Required Research Experiences
YEARS OF RESEARCH EXPERIENCE1 - 4
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Good
- Basic knowledge of EM fields and antennas
- Experience with main programming languages (Matlab / C /C++)
- Signal processing, Image processing
- Experience with modelling software tools
EURAXESS offer ID: 303116