RESEARCH FIELDTechnology › Biotechnology
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE27/04/2018 18:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONSweden › Stockholm
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40
OFFER STARTING DATE01/06/2018
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020 / Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions
MARIE CURIE GRANT AGREEMENT NUMBER764281
In the framework of the European collaborative project AiPBAND (An Integrated Platform for Developing Brain Cancer Diagnostic Techniques) under Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions, Stockholm University (Sweden) is recruiting one Early Stage Researcher (ESR). This ESR will be enrolled in the AiPBAND Innovative Training Network programme in which a group of early stage researchers will be exposed to the full breadth of disciplines associated with a new generation of biosensing techniques and diagnostic systems that can provide diagnosis, prognosis and monitoring of brain cancer, from both the academic and non-academic sectors. Through a set of synergistic research projects in gliomas diagnosis, targeting the most important and urgent clinical needs, the ESRs are offered a holistic training program, preparing them to be lead players in the field.
The specific research project offered by Stockholm University comprises the development of assays and methods for tissue profiling in clinical brain specimens. The work will be based on spatially resolved gene expression analysis of brain tissue for biomarker discovery and validation of biomarkers in blood. The project involves development of assays based on established in situ next generation sequencing (NGS) technology, allowing highly multiplexed biomarker analysis at single cell resolution in sections of formalin fixed paraffin embedded (FFPE) tissues from gliomas and generating biomarkers based on both cellular and molecular profiling. The technology is specific and sensitive enough to record even point mutations, and works well for mRNA profiling in tissues. The project will aim for the development of in situ NGS technology for miRNA profiling and protein profiling in FFPE tissue sections. The project will also involve intensive high resolution fluorescence microscopy and image analysis modules. The biomarkers will guide the development of assays for blood-based sensors. The ESR will work closely with clinical oncologists/pathologists in London and Rome.
What we offer
- An exciting project in a multicultural environment.
- Being part of a multidisciplinary group of early stage researchers through the AiPBAND program. In total 14 researchers in various research institutes throughout Europe will be part of this program, each investigating a major hurdle in current diagnostic developments.
- The opportunity to obtain a PhD. At the start of the project, a personal mentor will be assigned and a personalized career development plan will be jointly developed.
- An extensive network-wide training program through the AiPBAND project, consisting of workshops, lectures, summer schools, webinars on project progress and web lessons on clinical research topics.
- Candidates shall, at the time of recruitment be in the first four years (full-time equivalent research experience) of their research careers and have not been awarded a doctoral degree.
- Mobility rule: at the time of recruitment, researchers must not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in Sweden for more than 12 months in the last 3 years immediately prior to the reference date.
- Strong and proven knowledge of the English language.
- Initial screening based on CV and letter
- Interview(s) with selection committee
- Approval by the AiPBAND Supervisory Board
Selections will be made regardless of gender, nationality, religion, ethnicity and cultural background, but aiming for a good balance among the group.
Place of employment
- Main research location: Molecular Diagnostics Group, Science for Life Laboratory, SE-171 21 Solna, Sweden; Contact: Prof. Mats Nilsson, Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, Stockholm University (https://www.scilifelab.se/researchers/mats-nilsson/ and http://www.su.se/english/profiles/matsn-1.191373),
- Secondments at University College London, UK; Italian National Cancer Institute and University of Catania in Italy; Capital Medical University in China.
How to apply?
Please apply by e-mail (motivational letter / statement of purpose and CV in English) to email@example.com
Deadline for receiving the applications: 27th April 2018, 18:00 Stockholm Time (CET or GMT+1)
Anticipated start date: 1st June 2018
Web site for additional job details
Required Research Experiences
RESEARCH FIELDBiological sciences › Biology
YEARS OF RESEARCH EXPERIENCE1 - 4
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELBiological sciences: Master Degree or equivalentEngineering: Master Degree or equivalentNeurosciences: Master Degree or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Excellent
The candidate should possess a Master degree in any of the following areas,
(i) A degree in the following or related Natural Sciences - Biology / Biochemistry / Molecular Biology (OR)
(ii) An engineering degree in any of the following or related fields - Bioengineering / Biotechnology / Biomedical Engineering, with previous hands-on experience with tools and techniques in molecular biology (OR)
(iii) Computational Biology / Bioinformatics / Biostatistics
The following desired qualifications would be advantageous:
- Previous work experience with standard molecular biology techniques.
- Experience with in situ hybridization, immunohistochemistry or similar tissue analysis techniques shall be advantageous.
- Knowledge in bio-imaging and image analysis tools (like CellProfiler, ImageJ) shall be advantageous.
- Highly motivated person with an interest to work in an inter-disciplinary area, ability to work in a team and collaborate, and capacity for analytical thinking and creativity desired.
- Willingness to travel.
- We look for scientific expertise and curiosity, as well as strong personal characteristics.
EURAXESS offer ID: 292514
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.