ORGANISATION/COMPANYIstituto Italiano Di Tecnologia
RESEARCH FIELDChemistry › Physical chemistryPhysics › Quantum mechanics
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE01/06/2018 00:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONItaly › Rovereto
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40
OFFER STARTING DATE01/10/2018
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020 / Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions
MARIE CURIE GRANT AGREEMENT NUMBER766402
An international consortium of nine research groups has been awarded a EU-supported research grant for an International Training Network on Zero and Ultralow Field Nuclear Magnetic Resonance (www.zulf.eu). The group of Prof. Angelo Bifone at the Italian Institute of Technology (www.iit.it) in Rovereto, a culturally vibrant town in the beautiful Dolomites area in northern Italy, is one of the teams.
Our goal is the development of methods to increase the sensitivity of NMR detection by means of optical excitation of defects in diamond. Specifically, we intend to study magnetic interactions of molecules at the surface of diamond in the presence of shallow Nitrogen Vacancy centers, and the physical mechanisms that may enable polarization transfer between NV centers and nuclear spins, and between nuclear spins. We will develop nanostructured diamond samples to increase the exposed surface area, and will explore different conditions to optimize surface interactions between adsorbed molecules and diamond substrate.
Our laboratory is equipped with state of the art instrumentation for the optical and RF manipulation of NV centers and for NMR measurements. Specifically, we have a house-built confocal microscope with additional RF channels, a fluorescence microscope for wide-field ODMR microscopy, a bench-top NMR system and a small bore MRI scanner.
A 3-year position for an Early Stage Researcher (ESR) is available in the group of Angelo Bifone in Rovereto, supported by the ZULF International Training Network. The candidate will obtain their PhD during their employment as an ESR. The PhD will be awarded by the University of Turin, a partner of the consortium. Should the candidate be already engaged in a PhD programme in a related topic, a PhD may also be awarded by their host institution, providing that they work at IIT for their ESR employment.
The ESR position will involve travel and collaboration with other members of the ZULF consortium. The successful candidate should have an excellent degree in physics, chemistry or physical chemistry. Experience with optics and/or NMR spectroscopy would be an advantage. Please, address your inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please, note that 11 ESR positions are available over the entire ZULF consortium (see www.zulf.eu). All candidates should also send their CV and a cover letter to email@example.com. This will allow their candidacy to be considered by other consortium members in the case that their application to IIT is not successful. Please be sure to read the eligibility requirements provided below.
- The ESR will be employed by the Italian Institute of Technology for 36 months.
- A competitive salary plus allowances is offered, i.e. standard ITN rates, including a mobility allowancefor relocation, and a family allowance for those candidates that have families at the time of recruitment.
- The ESR will benefit from the designed training programme offered by the host organisation and the ZULF NMR consortium.
- Applicants can be of any nationality.
- H2020 MSCA Mobility Rule: researchers must not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in Italy for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately before the recruitment date (Oct. 1st, 2018).
- H2020 MSCA eligibility criteria: Early Stage Researchers (ESRs) must, at the date of recruitment by the host organisation, be in the first four years (full-time equivalent research experience) of their research careers and have not been awarded a doctoral degree. Full-Time Equivalent Research Experience is measured in months that the candidate spent working on pure research from the date the researcher obtained the degree entitling him/her to embark on a doctorate (MSc/BSc; either in the country in which the degree was obtained or in the country in which the researcher is recruited, even if a doctorate was never started or envisaged).
The selection process will be carried out as outlined in the https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code.
Informal enquiries should be made to Angelo Bifone, firstname.lastname@example.org, at the Italian Institute of Technology.
The start date is 1 October 2018. Applications should include a cover letter, a curriculum vitae and the names of two referees who have been former supervisors/colleagues.
In case of any questions about the consortium, contact us at: email@example.com
Web site for additional job details
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELPhysics: Master Degree or equivalentChemistry: Master Degree or equivalent
- Applicants must hold a MSc or equivalent in the field of Physics, Physical Chemistry or related field.
- Excellent command of the English language.
- A background in optics or magnetic resonance based techniques (NMR and MRI) is a strong advantage
- Research experience in a physics laboratory is recommended
- Applicants must have an ability to understand and express themselves in both written and spoken English to a level that is sufficiently high for them to derive the full benefit from the network training.
- Applicants must be eligible to enroll on a PhD program in Chemistry or Physics at the University of Torino.
- Applicants must demonstrate enthusiasm and a strong commitment for scientific research.
- Applicants must be able to engage in scientific research that will result in high-quality publications.
- Applicants must be able to support and work with the principal investigator in carrying out the research project.
EURAXESS offer ID: 288323