ORGANISATION/COMPANYInstitut d&#039;Investigacio Biomedica de Bellvitge (IDIBELL)
RESEARCH FIELDBiological sciences › Biology
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE27/03/2018 23:00 - Europe/Athens
LOCATIONSpain › L&#039;Hospitalet de Llobregat
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40
IDIBELL is a research center that integrates the biomedical research of the Bellvitge University Hospital (HUB), the Catalan Institute of Oncology (ICO), and the University of Barcelona in the Bellvitge Campus (UB) and the Viladecans Hospital (HV), located in south Barcelona. The research focuses of IDIBELL are cancer, neuroscience and translational medicine; research, innovation and society are the pivots on which researchers work every day in order to improve the quality of life of citizens.
IDIBELL is part of the CERCA institution of the Generalitat of Catalonia. In 2009, it became one of the first five Spanish research centers accredited as a health research institute by the Carlos III Institute of Health. More recently, the European Commission has recognized IDIBELL with the HRS4R logo (Excellence in Human Resources in Research), which identifies IDIBELL as a provider and supporter of a stimulating research work environment.
We are looking for a candidate that will help in creating the new IDIBELL Bioinformatics Unit. The Unit aims to provide support to biomedical researchers within the campus mainly focused on cancer, neuroscience and translational medicine, offering them advice and analysis for different types of "omics" data. The Unit is part of the Core Facilities of IDIBELL under the supervision of the Scientific Direction. The successful candidate is expected to be skilled, passionate, service-oriented, collaborative and fun-with-data.
The selected candidate is expected to work independently:
• Set up the new Bioinformatics Unit of IDIBELL; understanding the researchers’ needs; defining resources; services; fees; budget; etc.
• Advice for the experimental design and planning of research projects involving bioinformatics.
• Analysis of bioinformatics of high throughput omics data (data types include NGS, proteomic, imaging and others both at the single cell and population level).
• Development and standardization of in-house robust bioinformatics workflows and pipelines.
• Combine newly acquired experimental data with publicly available databases.
• Design and implementation of bioinformatics web-based applications.
• Assessment in the communication of scientific results.
• Participate in IDIBELL training activities addressed to the researchers.
• Regular management duties as Core-facilities’ head.
• Full-time position (40 hours/week)
• Temporary contract until the resolution of ISCIII-AES 2018 grant. Then a 2 year will be offered depending upon performance independent of the awarding of the ISCIII-AES 2018 grant.
• Salary depending on the candidate's experience and qualifications.
• Starting date: After closing ISCIII-AES 2018 application date. We are looking forward to incorporate him/her on April 15, 2018.
• Cover Letter
• Curriculum vitae (CVN)
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Excellent
• PhD in bioinformatics, computational biology, biostatistics, genomics, molecular biology or related fields, applied mathematics or biostatistics.
• Preferred degree or M.Sc. in Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics, Statistics or other theoretical background. Applicants with a biological degree and strong theoretical background acquired afterwards will also be considered.
• High level of English is mandatory.
• Catalan and/or Spanish will be of added value.
• Experience in scientific computing and programming/scripting languages and high-performance computer clusters applied to genomics and high throughput omics data.
• Customer orientation and service vocation.
• High level of proactivity and good communication skills.
Desired experience and skills
• Experience in biomedical research environments, as either researcher or technical role.
• Knowledge in data biomedical areas such as design of experiments, machine learning, integrative multivariate analysis, network analysis and visualization, or similar topics.
• Expertise in the implementation of bioinformatics workflows and pipelines using cluster computing.
• Experience in the analysis of omics data, including next-generation sequencing data.
• Expertise in the development of web-based applications.
• Familiarity working under quality management systems (ISO9001).
• Experience in team management.
EURAXESS offer ID: 286381