RESEARCH FIELDAgricultural sciences
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE31/03/2018 00:00 - Europe/Athens
LOCATIONIreland › Wexford
TYPE OF CONTRACTOther
Basic Function of the post:
The basic functions of this post are to conduct research across a number of pilot farms in collaboration with farmers and project scientists. The post will involve carrying out farm surveys of agronomic and environmental properties at farm scale across a range of soil and landscape settings. This information will be collated using spatial analysis (GIS) and used to derive a risk assessment tool for on-farm water quality protection. The post will also involve reviewing current literature on water quality measures and engaging with the farmers and advisors, Knowledge Transfer (KT) specialists and project scientists to select appropriate measures for each farm. This will then be used to define the criteria for a decision support tool for on-farm water quality protection.
Duties & Responsibilities specific to this project:
- Engage with Teagasc researchers and advisors to select a number of pilot farms that cross a range of soil and landscape conditions.
- Engage with pilot farmers, conduct a survey of agricultural activities and compile this information using GIS dataset on soils.
- Co-design a risk assessment with the farmers and in conjunction with socio-economic and behavioural scientists.
- Review current literature on water quality measures and co-select appropriate measures for each farm based on the co-designed risk assessment.
- Synthesise the results across all of the pilot farms to define the farm and landscape criteria and to assist Knowledge Transfer practitioners in trialling and refining a decision support tool that could be used to complement existing Knowledge Transfer decision support tools such as NMP online.
- Write peer reviewed publications based on the data collected across the pilot farms and publish a novel risk assessment tool for on-farm water quality protection on Irish landscapes.
Further Information for Candidates
Candidates can access a Fellowship Programme Application form for this post on the Teagasc website at https://www.teagasc.ie/about/opportunities/post-doctoral-opportunities/ Teagasc do not accept Curriculum Vitaes as an application for a position. In order to apply for a post the relevant application form must be completed in order to be considered.
Completed application forms should be TYPED, saved in PDF format and submitted by email to email@example.com no later than 12 midnight on Friday 30th March 2018.
Teagasc is an equal opportunities employer. Canvassing will disqualify. The details contained above are subject to change without notice.
- PhD in agriculture, environmental science, soil science, geography.
- Relevant research experience not to exceed 3 years’ post-PhD.
- Experience in field work and GIS analysis.
- Experience in setting own research agenda.
EURAXESS offer ID: 286341