ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversity of Bergen
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE27/04/2018 23:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONNorway › Bergen
TYPE OF CONTRACTPermanent
HOURS PER WEEK37,5
There is a vacancy for a PhD position at the Geophysical Institute, University of Bergen in large-scale atmospheric dynamics. The position is for a fixed-term period of 4 years under the project Enhancing Mechanistic Understanding of mid-latitude LArge-scale circulaTion Errors (EMULATE) funded by the Bjerknes Centre for Climate Research.
About the project/work tasks
EMULATE will undertake deep analysis of the existing climate model data archives (e.g. CMIP5, CORDEX) to improve the physical understanding of the well-known biases in mid-latitude circulation features (e.g. storm tracks, jets, and blocking). The project will also explore the impacts of these biases on regional-scale extreme weather events over Europe. Many studies have identified the shortcomings of models in their representation of these circulation features, but physical understanding of their drivers and the implications of the biases remains incomplete. This work will be critically important in identifying and understanding errors in global climate models, and constraining the regional impacts and effects of present and future change.
The successful candidate will undertake detailed statistical analysis of climate model data with an aim to understand the processes shaping the biases (e.g. SST, orography) and assess their implication for European weather Extremes.
- a good and professionally challenging working environment
- salary at pay grade 50 (Code 1017/Pay range 20, alternative 8) in the state salary scale. This constitutes a gross annual salary of NOK 436 900. Further promotions are made according to length of service in the position.
- enrolment in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- a position in an inclusive workplace (IA enterprise)
- good welfare benefits
- a brief account of the applicant's research interests and motivation for applying for the position
- the names and contact information for two referees. One of these should be the main advisor for the master's thesis or equivalent thesis
- transcripts and diplomas showing completion of the bachelor's and master's degrees, or official confirmation that the master's thesis has been submitted
- relevant certificates/references
- a list of any works of a scientific nature (publication list)
- any publications in your name
Further information about the employment process can be found here
Web site for additional job details
Required Research Experiences
YEARS OF RESEARCH EXPERIENCE1 - 4
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELPhysics: Master Degree or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Excellent
- Applicants must hold a master's degree or equivalent in atmospheric sciences, meteorology, or a climate science related field. Master students can apply provided they complete their final master exam before 30.06.2018. It is a condition of employment that the master's degree has been awarded.
- Experience with large-scale climate dynamics and the general circulation of the atmosphere is required. In addition, it is an advantage to have experience with extreme weather events.
- Experience in statistical analysis of climate data and working with Python, R, or Matlab. In addition, it is an advantage to have experience of global and/or regional climate modelling, CDO/NCO, and working with observational datasets.
- Ability to work comfortably in the Unix/Linux environment.
- Applicants must be able to work independently and independently and in a structured manner, and demonstrate good collaborative skills.
- Proficiency in both written and oral English.
EURAXESS offer ID: 286338