RESEARCH FIELDChemistry › BiochemistryChemistry › Heterogeneous catalysisChemistry › Organic chemistry
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE15/05/2018 19:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONGermany › Neuried
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40
OFFER STARTING DATE03/09/2018
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020 / Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions
MARIE CURIE GRANT AGREEMENT NUMBER765264
LightDyNAmics is a multidisciplinary European Training Network funded by the European Commission under the Horizon 2020 Marie Skłodowska-Curie Action. Thirteen research groups from academia and private sector have come together to understand the ultrafast dynamical processes at the molecular scale induced by UV light absorption in DNA.
Copper catalysed click reactions (CuAAC) are widely used for modifying nucleic acids, due to their efficiency and simplicity. Since copper can have toxic effects on biopolymers, it is desirable to decrease its concentration during CuAAC. An Early Stage Researcher (ESR) will be recruited as PhD candidate to synthesise new fluorogenic compounds with an internal copper chelating functionality, allowing to reduce the total copper concentration and still achieve good reaction rates. In addition, dye conjugates will be identified and prepared which have fluorogenic and/or photo induced sensitive properties only after click reaction. Furthermore the ESR will study these compounds in biological samples for cell proliferation analysis.
Application deadline: 15th Mai 2018
Start date (planned): 1st September 2018
baseclick GmbH is a ISO9001:2015-certified company with its head office located in Neuried, Germany, close to Munich and was founded in 2008 with the shareholders of BASF SE, Ludwigshafen the LMU Munich. The core of the baseclick technology is the "click reaction," a copper catalysed cycloaddition allowing virtually unlimited functionalization of both small synthetic oligonucleotides and large gene fragments with unprecedented efficiency. Beside its own patents, baseclick holds an exclusive worldwide license for the use of click chemistry technology in the field of nucleic acids and offers this technology in research, diagnostics and, increasingly, the pharmaceutical development by modification of RNA molecules.
Marie Curie eligibility rules requires ESRs to have at most four years of research experience. To satisfy Marie Curie mobility criteria, you must not have resided or carried out your main activity (work, studies, etc.) in Germany for more than 12 months in the 3 years prior to the start data (short stays such as holidays and/or compulsory national service are not taken into account).
Web site for additional job details
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELChemistry: Master Degree or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Excellent
- M.Sc (or equivalent graduation) in relevant area (preferably Organic Chemistry).
- Fluent in English (communication and teaching language throughout LightDyNAmics is English)
- High level analytical capability
- Ability to communicate complex information clearly
- Fluency in relevant models, techniques or methods and ability to contribute to developing new ones
- Ability to assess resource requirements and use resources effectively
- Understanding of and ability to contribute to broader management/administration processes
To apply please send following documents in one PDF-file (other file formats will be deleted unread) to firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Personal statement (up to 1 page) about the applicants' experience, interests and career goals.
2. CV with a list of publications and/or projects.
3. Evidence of having obtained a degree that qualifies the applicant for PhD enrolment (such as scan of the master certificate).
4. Official transcript of grades obtained during the applicants Bachelor and Master studies.
5. Names and contact information of at least two academic referees who could write a letter of recommendation.
Please note that only complete application sets will be considered.
EURAXESS offer ID: 286300