ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversité Libre de Bruxelles (ULB)
RESEARCH FIELDEconomics › Knowledge economyHistory › Economic history
RESEARCHER PROFILERecognised Researcher (R2)
APPLICATION DEADLINE08/02/2018 12:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONBelgium › Brussels
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK38
OFFER STARTING DATE01/10/2018
A Postdoctoral Research Fellowship in Business History is vacant at the Solvay Brussels School of Economics and Management (SBS-EM) of the Free University of Brussels (Université Libre de Bruxelles – ULB).
The Kurgan-van Hentenryk (hereafter KvH) Chair in Business History aims at advancing and diffusing research on the history of the knowledge economy. The purpose of the chair is threefold. First, it is designed to perform research in the field of business history. The Chair’s research focus lies on the comparative analysis of the origins, development, and consequences of the science and technology-based industry which has emerged as a global phenomenon from the 1970s onwards. Second, in terms of research diffusion, the KvH Chair intends to give students from the Solvay Brussels School in Economy and Management (SBS-EM), as well as students from other faculties at ULB, the learning tools and the latest insights in business history research on the topics mentioned above. Third, as a commitment to the communication of research, the Chair ambitions to initiate a wide range of scientific activities (conferences, workshops, etc.) as a means to foster the public development of business history and enhance the interest of scholars, experts, and business actors for this field.
The postdoctoral researcher will hold the title of Kurgan-van Hentenryk Postdoctoral Fellow in Business History. The fellowship is awarded for two years’ residence and research at SBS-EM, with a possible extension of a third year. The fellowship is open to scholars who, within the last three years, have received a Ph.D. in history, economics, or a discipline related to the field of business history. Please note that the applicant should not have been affiliated to a Belgian university more than 12 months within the last three years (1 October 2015 – 30 September 2018).
- Fellowship up to ca. 30,000-36,000 EUR, depending on level of expertise and fiscal regulations.
- A substantial research funding to attend international meetings, as well as the possibility to do short visiting research stays.
- A challenging and stimulating working environment since the fellow will be involved in the research environments of iCite (http://www.solvay.edu/icite) and the Research Center Mondes Modernes et Contemporains (https://mmc.ulb.ac.be/).
- The opportunity to gain teaching experience as instructor of the Research Seminar in Business History, which is a course offered in theMaster of Business Engineering involving 24 hours in teaching.
- Assistance with the administrative steps to be undertaken prior to arrival at the ULB and the various formalities to be completed once in Belgium (residence permit, accommodation, health insurance, tax and social security…) through the International Welcome Desk (http://www.ulb.ac.be/international/international-welcome-desk-en.html), which is the Euraxess Services (https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/) Contact Point within the ULB.
Please note that the applicant should not have been affiliated to a Belgian university more than 12 months within the last three years (1 October 2015 – 30 September 2018)
Applicants should submit the following attachments with the electronic application, preferably in pdf format,
- A cover letter with an _expression_ of interest and description of qualifications
- A brief description (maximum 1 500 words) of how the applicant will contribute to the project on the history of the knowledge economy both theoretically and methodologically, including a workload schedule within the given time frame.
- Writing sample (around 7000 words).
- Curriculum Vitae including list of publications.
- Names and contact details of at least two reference persons
All documents should be in English and sent to Kenneth.Bertrams@ulb.ac.be with the subject line “Application KvH Postdoctoral Fellowship [first name + last name]”. Incomplete submission packages will not be considered.
Short-listed applicants will be invited for an interview at the Free University of Brussels (ULB), either in person or via Skype by the end of February 2018.
See the ULB International Desk Welcome Guide for general information.
The Free University of Brussels (ULB) has an agreement for all employees, aiming to secure rights to research results, etc.
The Free University of Brussels (ULB) is committed to achieve a balanced gender composition in the workforce and to recruit people with ethnic minority backgrounds.
Web site for additional job details
Required Research Experiences
RESEARCH FIELDHistory › Economic history
YEARS OF RESEARCH EXPERIENCE1 - 4
RESEARCH FIELDEconomics › Knowledge economy
YEARS OF RESEARCH EXPERIENCE1 - 4
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELHistory: PhD or equivalentEconomics: PhD or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Good
A PhD in History or in Economics, with a substantial background in business history (dissertation must be successfully defended by the start of contract)
We are looking for a strongly motivated, competent and internationally oriented candidate, with high academic qualifications in one or several of the research areas specified above. In assessing the applications, special emphasis will be placed on the quality of the candidates’ description of their proposed contribution to the KvH Chair’s prime focus on the history of the knowledge economy, their previous experience in the relevant area of research, and their international experience and network. Personal suitability and co-operation skills will receive special attention in the selection process.
EURAXESS offer ID: 269340
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.