RESEARCH FIELDBiological sciences › OtherCommunication sciences › Science communication
RESEARCHER PROFILEEstablished Researcher (R3)
APPLICATION DEADLINE09/02/2018 11:00 - Europe/Athens
LOCATIONSpain › Barcelona
TYPE OF CONTRACTTo be defined
HOURS PER WEEK40
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020
REFERENCE NUMBERAD /17/10
IRB Barcelona is a self-standing, non-profit institution devoted to basic and applied biomedical research. It was set up in 2005 jointly by the Government of Catalonia and the University of Barcelona and is located at the Barcelona Science Park. The institute currently has more than 430 members (scientific, technical and administrative staff) from all over the world, who work across disciplines to advance research in the biomedical sciences.
IRB Barcelona seeks a Head of Advancement and External Relations. The successful candidate will be responsible for designing, developing and executing an overall advancement strategy to enhance and support IRB Barcelona’s international reputation as a world-class centre of excellence in biomedical research, advanced training, innovation and public engagement. The Head of Advancement and External Relations will provide leadership to the areas of:
- Fundraising and development
- Communications and external relations
- Alumni relations
- Public engagement & science education
This position is an exciting opportunity to help drive IRB Barcelona forward as it prepares to welcome a new Director and enters into the next phase of its leadership.
The successful candidate will be an experienced professional with proven leadership in the field of advancement, fundraising and development, communications and marketing, and alumni relations, ideally in a university, academic or health-related charity context similar to IRB Barcelona. The Head of Advancement and External Relations will lead a talented team who develop and implement IRB Barcelona’s wide range of communications, engagement, fundraising and alumni strategies, aimed at developing solid and collaborative relationships with multiple stakeholders, including the wider scientific community, internal staff, trustees, future scientists, alumni, donors and supporters, schools, and general public. The post-holder will steer IRB Barcelona’s high-quality institutional communications activities, and consolidate and build upon its pioneering public engagement and science education initiatives. He or she will bring leadership, vision and innovative thinking to fundraising as well as to alumni relations.
The Head of Advancement and External Relations reports to the Managing Director and is part of the Institute’s senior management team.
- Work proactively with IRB Barcelona leadership to develop integrated advancement strategies in support of IRB Barcelona’s missions.
- Plan, develop, organize, implement, direct, monitor and evaluate the communications, marketing, public engagement, fundraising and alumni relations functions at the Institute.
- Provide vision, leadership and support for fundraising activities and donor relations, including major donor strategies, legacies, campaigns, regular giving and stewardship. Promote culture of philanthropy internally.
- Oversee key communications and external relation activities (including press and media relations, print and online publications, digital communications and social media, internal communications, branding, crisis communication, conference and event organization, public engagement and science education activities, editorial support), ensuring products and services are delivered to the highest standard and levels of creativity.
- Provide vision, leadership and support for alumni relations activities and initiatives, promoting engagement among the extended IRB Barcelona community of current and former researchers and staff.
- Provide vision, leadership and support for public engagement and science education activities, fostering interactions with students, teachers and the general public through initiatives based on IRB Barcelona science.
Applications for the above opening should include CV, motivation letter and should be sent by e-mail to: email@example.com Reference: AD/17/10
- Deadline for applications: 09/02/2018
When the applicants do not fit the requirements, the deadline may be extended.
- Number of positions available: 1
- Pre-selection: Will be based on CV, motivation letter, experience.
- Interviews: Short-listed candidates will be interviewed.
- Offered Position: Job offer will be sent to the successful candidate after the interview.
Must Have – Required
- University degree (Master’s level preferred).
- Over 10 years of strategic fundraising, communications and marketing, alumni relations, or similar experience, ideally in a setting similar to IRB Barcelona.
- At least 5 years in a position of leadership.
- A proven track record of creative and visionary leadership in the development of communication and advancement plans in collaboration with a range of internal and external stakeholders.
- Demonstrated experience in fundraising and alumni relations, with a good sense of the changing landscapes and latest trends in these areas.
- Solid understanding of, or interest in, science.
- A strong foundation in core communications competencies (press and media relations, web development, print and online publications, social media strategy, internal communications, branding, crisis communication, event organization and public engagement).
- Ability to effectively engage and interface with a wide range of interlocutors, including senior management as well as scientists, staff and students in an international and intercultural environment.
- Excellent writing, editing and verbal communication skills in English.
- Proven team-building skills.
- Self-reliant, good problem solver, results oriented.
- Knowledge of Catalan or Spanish.
- Working conditions: Employed in compliance with Spanish legislation and regulations under a full-time contract. Employees receive the benefits of the Spanish Social Security system covering sickness, maternity/paternity leaves and injuries at work. Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications.
- International Environment:The opportunity to join a prestigious international research institution and become a member of our established administration team
- Continuous training in a high-quality environment.
EURAXESS offer ID: 261791