ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversity of Veterinary Medicine Vienna - popgen
RESEARCH FIELDBiological sciences › Other
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE14/01/2018 00:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONAustria › Vienna
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK30
OFFER STARTING DATE03/09/2018
Over the past years, Vienna has developed into one of the leading centres of population genetics. The Vienna Graduate School of Population Genetics has been founded to provide a training opportunity for PhD students to build on this excellent on site expertise.
We invite applications from highly motivated and outstanding students with a background in one of the following disciplines: bioinformatics, statistics, evolutionary genetics, functional genetics, theoretical and experimental population genetics. Students from related disciplines, such as physics or mathematics are also welcome to apply.
- Comparative population genomics in Drosophila species.
- Contribution of transposable elements to adaption during experimental evolution.
- Developing new statistical tools for the identification of adaptive QTLs.
- Evolution of gene expression.
- Evolution of phenotypic plasticity.
- Evolution of sex chromosomes in Drosophila species.
- Evolution of sperm competition in Drosophila.
- Functional characterization of adaptive QTLs.
- Maximum likelihood inference of population genetic parameters using genome-wide data from nearly neutral sites.
- Sex-specific arms race between transposable elements and small RNAs.
Only complete applications (application form, CV, motivation letter, university certificates, indication of the two preferred topics in a single pdf) received by January 14, 2018 will be considered. Two letters of recommendation need to be sent directly by the referees. Accepted PhD students will receive a monthly salary based on currently EUR 2071 before tax according to the regulations of the Austrian Science Fund (FWF).
All information about the about available topics, the training program and the application procedure can be found at www.popgen-vienna.at
EURAXESS offer ID: 260817
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.