ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversidad Pablo de Olavide
RESEARCH FIELDHistory › Economic history
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE01/12/2017 23:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONSpain › Seville
TYPE OF CONTRACTOther
HOURS PER WEEK40
OFFER STARTING DATE08/01/2018
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020 / ERC
REFERENCE NUMBERGECEM - 679371
Within the ERC “Global Encounters between China and Europe: Trade Networks, Consumption and Cultural Exchanges in Macau and Marseille (1680-1840) – GECEM”, visit this link: http://ec.europa.eu/euraxess/index.cfm/links/singleNews/52369, a PhD position is searched to work at the Department of Philosophy, Geography and History (University Pablo de Olavide of Seville, Spain). This project aims to explain socio-economic and cultural exchanges between China and Europe through the study of city ports that fostered new patterns of consumption, shaping trade networks and stimulating local and global commerce. Macau and its connections with South China and the axis Marseille-Seville, in the western Mediterranean, will be main areas of study in a comparative perspective. This project will be funded by the ERC, Starting-Grant scheme, and has been awarded to prof. Manuel Perez Garcia as principal investigator. For more information of the project visit www.gecem.eu
The PhD researcher will be based at University Pablo de Olavide (UPO), Seville (Spain), being part of the research team led by prof. Manuel Perez Garcia, as well as participating in the academic life of the Department of Philosophy, Geography and History (UPO) and more in particular collaboration with the working group on Early Modern History during the period of the contract.
Deadline for applications: until the position is filled.
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELHistory: Master Degree or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESCHINESE: Mother TongueENGLISH: ExcellentSPANISH: Good
The successful candidate should preferably have:
- Ability to perform and coordinate research and management tasks of the project, and readiness to collaborate with the working group on Early Modern History.
- Knowledge and ability to analyze Chinese sources (corresponding to Ming and Qing dynasties) and potential and willingness to incorporate European sources.
- Knowledge in historical archival research and application of quantitative and qualitative methodologies for comparative research and development of databases and software.
- Excellent graduate record and Master degree.
- Capacity to publish scientific articles in journals indexed in international blind peer-review journals.
- Ability to work in team and willingness to build an international profile and network.
Merits to assess:
- Graduate Degree and Master in History, Economics, International Relations or related field.
- Some experience in publications and/or working in a dossier in scientific journals related to the topic of the project in question.
- Stays abroad for research and experience in international centers.
- Advanced level of English and Chinese (HSK certificate, level 5/6, will be required for non-native Chinese speakers). Ability to read French and/or Spanish sources (This will be a plus).
- Other language skills (non-compulsory): Italian, Portuguese, German and/or other languages.
- The knowledge and use of new technologies applied to history, such as GIS applications (Geographic Information System), Access databases and data UCINET, will be a plus. If the researcher does not have a background on this, he/she will be encouraged to follow the Master of Digital Humanities at UPO.
- Previous collaborations on research projects related to the topic of this project will be a plus.
- Original research within the following scope: global history and discussion of the great divergence, the PhD will focus his/her research on the introduction of European goods in China that led to consumer behavior (XVIIth-XIXth centuries).
Please submit: cover letter (1 page), 2 letters of reference from established professors(names, affiliations, phone numbers, e-mail addresses), 500 word-research proposalpresenting the ideas to be conducted during the project, scanned copy of graduate degree and Master certificate, full cv, HSK certificate (level 5/6 for non-native Chinese speakers) and other certificates relevant for the application.
Please send electronically your application to this e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
EURAXESS offer ID: 256035