ORGANISATION/COMPANYInstitute of Biochemistry of the Romanian Academy
RESEARCH FIELDComputer science › Database management
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE23/11/2017 16:00 - Europe/Athens
LOCATIONRomania › Bucharest
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40 hours per week (academic flexibility)
OFFER STARTING DATE01/12/2017
The post is funded by a EU POC-A1-A1.1.4-E- 2015 Competitiveness Operational Programme 2014-2020 award, for the development of a „Multi-omics prediction system for prioritization of gerontological interventions” (GERONTOMICS). The duration of the post is one year, extendable up to the end of the project (almost three years), based on satisfactory performance. The selected candidate will work full-time in the project.
GERONTOMICS aims to use a systems biology approach to combine data from different “omics” levels (e.g.: genomic, transcriptomic, epigenomic, etc) and from various models of ageing in order to create a large-scale data-driven analysis and prediction platform for experimental interventions in gerontology. The project will involve both computational aspects (data aggregation and processing, multidimensional data analysis, network-based methods, systems theory approaches, etc) as well as wet-lab experiments (some of the predicted interventions will be tested in vivo), with a highly multi-disciplinary team.
Candidates should be highly motivated with a BSc in Computer Science (or a similar/equivalent academic degree) with excellent command of the English language.
The research assistant will be involved in the development of databases and web interfaces (with a stronger focus on backend technologies), required by the project, as well as web-tools for the group’s research and management. The research assistant will also support the group in automatic data gathering, data aggregation and developing code for some stages of data processing.
As a database and web programmer the candidate’s responsibility will be to:
- collaborate with the rest of the team to identify system requirements,
- design, configure and manage data portals (e.g. CKAN) and database structures,
- implement scripts and programs (writing clean and testable code) for querying databases, data management and visualization, communication with pipelines for large-scale data integration, etc
- create technical documentation and presentations for the team
While not the main focus of the post, being in an interdisciplinary team will also offer the successful candidate the opportunity to train in other fields than his/her own (e.g. gerontology, theoretical and experimental biology, bioinformatics, computer science, statistics and systems biology).
The post will require the succesful candidate to be able to present his/her work to the rest of the group and occasionally might also require him/her to attend and present at national and international meetings. Depending on the existing skill set and the candidate’s career goals, attendance to various training courses could also be available.
International team, multi-disciplinary academic environment
- BSc/MSc degree in Computer Science or relevant field
- More than 2 years experience in web development
More information can be found at: http://www.aging-research.group/careers/
Web site for additional job details
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELComputer science: Bachelor Degree or equivalent
Mandatory skill requirements:
- Work experience as a database engineer, web programmer or developer
- Hands on experience with various programming languages and frameworks (Python included)
- Familiarity (not mastery) with front-end technologies
- Being able/open to work in a multi-disciplinary team and in a fast-paced, agile work environment
- Ability to communicate (oral/written/presentations) and work well in a team
Optional but desirable skills:
- Hands on experience with CKAN, which is our current framework for a data portal is a plus
- Hands on experience with Django, which is used for some of our web resources
- Experience in bioinformatics or biology will help with group integration but is not required and will not be a selection criterion
For eligibility, the job application must include the following documents (additional documents will be required when signing the contract):
- Request for job application
- Curriculum Vitae (including work portfolio)
- Copy of diploma for highest academic grade achieved
- Letter of intent
Job applications should be sent before 16:00, 23.11.2017, by e-mail at email@example.com or directly at the Institute of Biochemistry of the Romanian Academy, Bucharest, Splaiul Independentei, nr 296, sector 6, room 307 (HR), for the attention of Dr. Robi Tacutu. Job interviews will take place on 27.11.2017 at the Institute’s location. Specific hours will be communicated at a later time.
Job first posted on: 23.10.2017
EURAXESS offer ID: 254965
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.