RESEARCH FIELDEngineering › Computer engineering
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE26/10/2017 21:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONNorway › Oslo
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40
OFFER STARTING DATE06/11/2017
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020 / Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions
MARIE CURIE GRANT AGREEMENT NUMBER764738
Do you want to work in the growing sector of medical technology and kick-start your career by working in a world-leading company? Do you want to work alongside leading universities, hospitals, and industry? Then apply now for a position at GE Cardiovascular Ultrasound R&D as one of 15 young researchers trained at 10 different European research institutions and companies in the new Marie Skłodowska-Curie European Innovative Training Network “Personalised In-silico Cardiology” (PIC), coordinated by King’s College London.
We are looking for an excellent candidate to fill a 3-year position as an Early Stage Researcher (PhD student or early-stage engineer) in our Digital team at GE Cardiovascular Ultrasound R&D in Oslo, Norway. Our team is focusing on the development of tools to automate clinical workflows for cardiac ultrasound and integrate these with cloud-based solutions by harnessing the power of state-of-the-art deep learning technology. The candidate should be self-driven and able to work independently, while also working and communicating well in a team environment. Interaction with clinical and academic centers will drive this project through research visits at other centers in the PIC consortium and through interaction with other PIC fellows and PIC partners.
The Training Network
PIC will educate young researchers (biomedical engineers) to become international experts in key areas of medical technology through a coordinated plan of individual research projects addressing specific topics in sensor and device technology and cardiac computer models to monitor function, guide therapy and aid in the diagnosing process. Multi-disciplinary dialogue and work between clinicians and biomedical engineers is crucial to address the challenges in this emerging field. By providing researchers with knowledge and training from specific topics in sensor and device technology, computational biology, biomedical engineering, research methodologies, innovation and entrepreneurship, the link between academic research and industry will be strengthened. The scientific and clinical goal of PIC is to improve methods for monitoring heart function and controlling pacemaker devices by miniaturized motion sensors as well as develop better diagnostic methods through personalised computer models incorporating anatomical and electrical data from each patient. For more information on the PIC-project see: http://picnet.eu.
The host institution
GE is the world's Digital Industrial Company, transforming industry with software-defined machines and solutions that are connected, responsive and predictive. Through our people, leadership development, services, technology and scale, GE delivers better outcomes for global customers by speaking the language of industry. GE Cardiovascular Ultrasound R&D division of GE Healthcare (GE Vingmed Ultrasound) is a world leader in cardiovascular ultrasound images with superior image quality and cardiac assessment tools. GE Vingmed Ultrasound is taking a lead in developing Digital solutions integrating deep learning, cloud computing, and smart devices with and within the ultrasound scanners. GE offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. GE is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Benefits at GE:
- Competitive salary (starting from around €45,000/year)
- Experience in deep learning and cloud computing for real-world applications
- Experience in R&D in a large enterprise
- Experience working alongside experts in software development and medical technologies
Before considering your application check these two requirements:
- Mobility Rule: at the time of recruitment by the host organisation, researchers must not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in the country of their host organisation for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately before the reference date. Compulsory national service and/or short stays such as holidays are not taken into account. As far as international European interest organisations or international organisations are concerned, this rule does not apply to the hosting of eligible researchers. However, the appointed researcher must not have spent more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately prior to their recruitment at the host organisation.
- Early-Stage Researchers (ESRs) shall, at the time of recruitment by the host organisation, be in the first four years (full-time equivalent research experience) of their research careers and have not been awarded a doctoral degree.
- Date of Recruitment normally means the first day of the employment of the fellow for the purposes of the project (i.e. the starting date indicated in the employment contract or equivalent direct contract).
- Full-Time Equivalent Research Experience is measured from the date when the researcher obtained the degree entitling him/her to embark on a doctorate (either in the country in which the degree was obtained or in the country in which the researcher is recruited or seconded), even if a doctorate was never started or envisaged.
GE offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. GE is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Web site for additional job details
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Excellent
- Strong academic record with a weighted average grade of master’s or equivalent education with a grade of B or higher
- Advantageous to have a special interest and competence within medical technology, hardware, practical experience with research methods, and R&D work at research institutes, universities and/or the health sector, validation studies, pre-clinical and clinical studies
- Emphasis on teamwork, innovation, being dynamic and enthusiastic as well as collaborating well with other members of a team.
- Must have a Master of science degree in one of the following fields: electronics, computer science/informatics, medical cybernetics, biomedical engineering, biophysics, physics, or mathematics. Candidates from related scientific disciplines are welcome to apply
- Good programming knowledge / experience with C/C++ and Python are required and experience with Microsoft Visual Studio preferred
- Knowledge and experience with hardware and interface with computers is advantageous
- Knowledge and experience with data acquisition, signal processing and analysis is advantageous
EURAXESS offer ID: 248308