ORGANISATION/COMPANYCatalan Institute for Water Research (ICRA)
RESEARCH FIELDChemistryEngineering › Chemical engineering
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE20/10/2017 23:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONSpain › Girona
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40
OFFER STARTING DATE05/11/2017
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020 / ERC
CHARACTERISTICS OF THE JOB
- Job location: ICRA – Catalan Institute for Water Research, Girona, Spain
- Position: Full Time PhD Student (Predoctoral Researcher)
- Expected start: between November 1st, 2017 and January 1st, 2018.
- Temporal position
- Duration: 12 month period, renewable every year till 36 months
- Gross salary package: 15.000 €
JOB PURPOSE / PROJECT DESCRIPTION
ICRA is offering one PhD position within the framework of a recently awarded ERC Starting Grant ELECTRON4WATER (Grant Agreement Number: 714177) - Three-dimensional nanoelectrochemical systems based on low-cost reduced graphene oxide: the next generation of water treatment systems (www.electron4water.com).The project is lead by Dr. Jelena Radjenovic, who will also be the supervisor of this position. The project is focused the development of novel, energy-efficient electrochemical reactors equipped with low-cost nanostructured electrode materials for the treatment of contaminated water. The nanoelectrolytic reactors will be tailored and optimized for the removal of persistent and toxic contaminants from water. The ultimate goal is to obtain a low-cost system that is energy efficient and well suited for decentralized water and wastewater treatment, and safe reuse of alternative water resources.
The successful PhD candidate will work closely with the postdoctoral fellows and students employed at the project, as well as other researchers at ICRA working in the related fields. The applicant will also be exposed to a multidisciplinary research environment at ICRA, have access to state-of-the-art equipment and facilities, and enjoy collaboration opportunities with ICRA´s international academic and industrial partners.
Successful candidate will receive a one-year contract, renewable every year till maximum 36 months after positive evaluation.
The key objectives of the scientific work of the PhD student are:
- Set-up and operation of experimental lab-scale reactors for the project tasks.
- Design and execution of well controlled experiments.
- Sample analysis employing advanced gas and liquid chromatography - mass spectrometry (GC and LC-MS).
- Data analysis and compilation in scientific reports and publications.
- Conduct experiments to pursue the above-mentioned objectives.
- Interpret the obtained results.
- Edit scientific publications to be submitted to leading scientific journals in the field of research.
- As with all PhD students and postdoctoral fellows a small proportion of the time will be allocated to communal services such as joint laboratory cleanings etc.
WORKING CONDITIONS & ENTITLEMENTS
Employed in compliance with Spanish legislation and regulations. Employees receive the benefits of the Spanish Social Security system covering sickness, maternity/paternity leaves and injuries at work.
The opportunity to join a prestigious international research institution and become a member of a young and growing research group.
Continuous training in a high-quality environment.
HOW TO APPLY & SELECTION PROCESS
- Motivation letter. Particular emphasis will be placed on the candidate’s written motivation, describing why you are interested in the field/project described and what make you a suitable candidate for this position and project. The selection will be based on the capacity of the applicants to benefit from the training, their ability to collaborate, as well as their creativity, initiative, and independence.
- Curriculum Vitae including work placements, academic education including grades and a short guide to the local grading system, if the applicant is from outside of Spain, and any other aspects considered relevant.
- List of academic publications if any.
- Contact details of 3 professional referees that can be contacted if the candidate is invited to attend an interview.
- Aplications and DeadlineDeadline for applications:
Send the required documents to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating ref. ‘PhD_E4H2O’ in the subject of the email.
The deadline to submit the required documentation is October, 20th 2017.
- Pre-selection: will be based on CV, experience, skills and motivation letter.
- Interviews: Short-listed candidates will be interviewed.
- Offered Position: Job Offer will be sent to the successful candidate after the interview.
In ICRA we are committed to maintaining and developing a work environment in which the values and principles of our organization are respected and equal opportunities between women and men be promoted in each of the areas in which we operate, not tolerating discrimination based on criteria such age, sex, marital status, race, ethnicity, disabilities, political leanings or sexual orientation.
Recruitment will be carried out as provided for in Article 15 of Royal Legislative Decree 1/1995 of 24 March passing the text of the Workers' Statute Act, in accordance with the provisions of Article 2 of Royal Decree 2720/98 of 18 December (B.O.E. 8 January 1999), Act nº 12/2001 of July 9 (B.O.E. 10 July) and concordant regulations.
The principle of equality between men and women is taken into account, in accordance with Article 14 of the Spanish Constitution, the EU Directive of 9 February 1976 and the provisions of the Agreement of the Council of Ministers of March 4, 2005, passing the Plan for gender equality in the General State Administration.
Universal accessibility for persons with disabilities is taken into account, in accordance with paragraph 2 of Article 1 of Act nº 51/2003 of 2 December on equal opportunities, and 5% of vacancies are reserved provided the candidates pass the selection processes and are able to accredit disability and compatibility in performing the tasks so that we will progressively reach 2% of the total workforce.
Web site for additional job details
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELChemistry: Master Degree or equivalentEngineering: Master Degree or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: ExcellentSPANISH: Basic
EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
Must Have – Required
Previous experience in experimental research-like activities (e.g. demonstrated in the form of master thesis work) in the field of (waste)water treatment, advanced oxidation processes, electrochemistry, and analyses of organic and inorganic contaminants in water including GC- and LC-MS will be considered a plus.
The applicant should have a degree in Environmental Engineering, Chemical engineering, Chemistry, or a related degrees with a good track record. Also, a MSc in Water treatment/technologies, Chemistry or related areas is required. The candidates will enrol to the PhD program offered by the University of Girona.
Excellent English communication skills. Knowledge of Spanish and/or Catalan will be taken favourably into account.
Capable of working independently with minimum supervision.
- Candidates should have a strong interest in water and wastewater treatment, and interdisciplinary research including environmental electrochemistry, nanotechnology and fate of organic and inorganic contaminants in engineered treatment systems.
EURAXESS offer ID: 247195
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.