ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversity of Groningen
RESEARCH FIELDLanguage sciences
RESEARCHER PROFILELeading Researcher (R4)Established Researcher (R3)
APPLICATION DEADLINE21/09/2017 22:00 - UTC
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK30
- teaching a broad range of course units in ancient cross-disciplinary specializations within the BA and MA degree programmes in History, Classics, and in the interdisciplinary research MA in Classical, Medieval and Early Modern Studies, and other relevant programmes (minors, Honours), as well as supervising BA and MA theses
- conducting research, publish nationally and internationally in suitable academic contexts, as well as initiate and implement national and international research projects
- playing an active and stimulating role in the design and organization of teaching and research, including carrying out administrative duties.
The University of Groningen offers a salary dependent on qualifications and work experience starting from a minimum of € 3,475 gross per month (Collective Labour Agreement Dutch Universities salary scale 11) to a maximum of € 5,405 gross per month (salary scale 12) for a full-time position, excluding 8% holiday pay and 8.3% end-of-year gratification and participation in a pension scheme for employees. The appointment will be on a temporary basis for 2 years.
The envisaged starting date for this appointment is 15 January 2018.
The procedure will include a lecture or a presentation as well as an interview. Samples of writing may be requested of shortlisted candidates. Please do not provide them in advance.
You may apply for this position until 21 September 23:59 hours / before 22 September 2017 Dutch local time by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
Applications should consist of a letter of motivation (cover letter), a curriculum vitae detailing teaching and research experiences and mentioning two academic referees with their contact details (references at this stage are not required), a list of publications, institutional contacts in the governmental/non-governmental area, and a plan for research (max. 2000 words) for the coming two years.
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
Prof. Dr O.M. van Nijf, Chair Ancient History
Web site for additional job details
- a PhD in Ancient History
- excellent social and communicative skills, and a collegial attitude
- a creative and innovative attitude towards teaching and research
- a good command of English (C1), NB many of our courses may be taught in English; for Non-Dutch/Flemish applicants a (passive) understanding of Dutch will be an advantage
- willingness and capacity to teach Ancient History at various levels (BA/MA)
- demonstrable ability to initiate or contribute to the development of new course units and new teaching modes
- willingness to teach and develop courses in a cross-disciplinary and interdisciplinary context (e.g. Archaeology, Classics, History, Religious Studies)
- a good publication record appropriate to the present stage of her/ his career
- a developed research profile that falls within the research interests of the department of Ancient History, and that is linked to the research programme of the Centre for Historical Studies
- an excellent research potential, preferably demonstrated by postdoctoral grants, international experience.
EURAXESS offer ID: 242781
Posting organisation offer ID: 42357