ORGANISATION/COMPANYThe Cyprus Institute
RESEARCH FIELDComputer science › Other
RESEARCHER PROFILEEstablished Researcher (R3)
APPLICATION DEADLINE03/09/2017 12:00 - Europe/Athens
LOCATIONCyprus › Nicosia
TYPE OF CONTRACTPermanent
HOURS PER WEEK40
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020
The Cyprus Institute (CyI) is a European non-profit science and technology institution based in Cyprus and led by an acclaimed Board of Trustees. The research aims of the Cyprus Institute are represented by three research centers: the Computation-based Science and Technology Research Center (CASTORC), the Science and Technology in Archaeology Research Center (STARC), and the Energy Environment Water Research Center (EEWRC). Considerable cross-center interaction is a characteristic of the Institute’s culture.
Description of the position
The Computation-based Science and Technology Research Center (CaSToRC) of CyI invites applications for a Computational Scientist position with expertise in large data management and visualization. The position is within the EU project VI-SEEM and the successful candidate is expected to support and pursue research activities in the area of computational simulations, computer graphics with application in Heritage Sciences.
Conduct scientific research in large data mining including deep learning and visualization, computer graphics and simulation
Take initiatives in adopting new methodologies for data analytics and introducing them to other scientists at CaSToRC
Coordinate activities with other participating partners, and members of cultural heritage user community
Prepare training material and participate in training/teaching courses
Deliver distributed data services and tools
Provide support for the users in cultural heritage
Prepare reports related to the projects s/he is involved
Prepare and publish scientific papers
Promote teamwork, local and international collaboration in his/her area of expertise
- PhD degree in any field of Computational Sciences such as Engineering, Computer Science or any other relevant field.
- A strong scientific record demonstrated with journal publications, conference proceedings and oral presentations
- Experience in a programming language such as Python, C and C++, Fortran.
- Experience with data management techniques and methods.
- Knowledge of data management standards and tools for cultural heritage.
- Experience in development and implementation of scientific workflow systems
- Analytical problem solving ability.
- Good interpersonal and teamwork skills.
- Proficiency in oral and written English
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Good interpersonal and teamwork skills
- Experience in gaming engines, such as Unity
- Knowledge of crowd simulation
- Experience in data visualisation and simulation
The initial appointment will be for a fixed term of one year with possibility of renewal. The salary range will be commensurate with the experience and qualifications of the candidate.
For full consideration, interested applicants should attach a letter of interest, CV and the names of three contactable referees (all documentation should be in English and in PDF Format). For further information, please contact Prof. Constantia Alexandrou (email@example.com). Recruitment will continue until the position is filled. Please note that applications which do not follow the announcement’s guidelines will not be considered.
EURAXESS offer ID: 238292