ORGANISATION/COMPANYNational and Kapodistrian University of Athens
RESEARCH FIELDPharmacological sciences › Pharmacognosy
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE31/08/2017 23:00 - Europe/Athens
LOCATIONGreece › Athens
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40
OFFER STARTING DATE01/11/2017
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020
For the Innovative Training Network (ITN) project MICROMETABOLITE - Research Training Network on the Microbial Enhancement of Bioactive Secondary Metabolite Production in Plants (H2020-MSCA-ITN-201 – grant agreement number: 721635) we are looking for an early stage researcher in the field of Chemistry, Pharmacy, Biochemistry or relative sciences. The researcher fellow will be hosted at the Department of Pharmacognosy and Natural Products Chemistry, Faculty of Pharmacy, for a period of 36 months.
- Enrollment for PhD studies at the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, Faculty of Pharmacy
- Individual research training trajectory, on-site supervision
- Full-time contract
- Salary according to Horizon 2020 Marie Sklodowska Curie Actions funding scheme including a monthly living allowance (2882.97 €), a monthly mobility allowance (600 €), a monthly family allowance (250 €). A correction factor will be applied per country, therefore the exact gross salary will be confirmed upon appointment. Please consider that the net salary may be 30-40% lower due to taxes, social benefit premiums etc.
- Conducting research in a dynamic, international and multicultural team
- For more information on MICROMETABOLITE, please visit: http://www.micrometabolite.eu/index.php/job-offers
- Applicants must, at the date of recruitment by MICROMETABOLITE, be in the first four years (full-time equivalent research experience measured from the date when the researcher obtained the degree entitling him/her to embark on a doctorate) of their research careers and have not been awarded a doctoral degree.
- Applicants must not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in the country of the recruiting institution for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately before the recruitment date. This excludes short stays such as holidays or compulsory national service.
- Candidates should have a master level degree or equivalent in Chemist, Pharmacist, Biochemist or relative sciences. Experience in the research scope of MICROMETABOLITE is a vital asset.
- Proficiency in English is essential, as it is the working language of the MICROMETABOLITE Network.
Recruitment will follow the principles set out in the European Charter for Researchers and in the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers (2005/251/EC; http://ec.europa.eu/euraxess), in accordance with the hosts’ standard procedures and in line with their Equal Opportunities Policies. Recruitment will integrate the gender dimension to ensure equal employment opportunities for both sexes. The project will ensure an open competition at international level.
The selection will be made by a Recruitment Committee, which will be gender balanced and comprise diverse expertise and competences.
The selection process will take into consideration the whole range of experience of the candidates (judging merit). For instance, their creativity, curiosity, motivation, and level of independence will be considered. Similarly, mobility experience will be considered as a valuable contribution to the professional development of the researcher.
- A first selection will be made on CV. Each candidate will be informed about the strengths and weaknesses of his/her application.
- A short list of potential candidates will be contacted and interviews will be conducted by skype.
- Final decision will be taken and each candidate will be informed about the outcome.
Web site for additional job details
Required Research Experiences
RESEARCH FIELDPharmacological sciences › Pharmacognosy
YEARS OF RESEARCH EXPERIENCE1 - 4
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELPharmacological sciences: Master Degree or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Excellent
Microbiomes associated with medicinal plants (e.g. members of the Boraginaceae family) may play an important role in modulating bioactive secondary metabolites. In MICROMETABOLITE the interaction between microbiomes, metabolomes and environment and the underlying microbial functions and mechanisms will be investigated. Suitable plant production systems integrating microorganisms will be developed to improve the production of desirable bioactive compounds.
• to develop extraction and separation methods for extracting and obtaining higher quantities of A/S (Alkannin and Shikonin)
• to perform targeted isolation of compounds induced by selected microorganisms
• to elucidate the structure of novel compounds by spectroscopic methods (NMR 1D, 2D, LC-HRMS etc)
• to use green extraction technologies for scale up production of standardized extracts and optimization of the procedure
• to evaluate the potential activity of extracts, enriched fractions or isolated secondary metabolites
The research fellow will have to follow a number of secondment(s):
- at Austrian Institute of Technology GMBH, Austria, to be trained in microbial community analysis (2 months)
- at Universiteit Gent, Belgium, to be trained in microbial identification (1month)
- at Pierre Fabre Research Institute to develop extraction processes and to be trained in down streaming industrial
processes (6 months)
Requirement 1 : Applicants must, at the date of recruitment by MICROMETABOLITE, be in the first four years (full-time equivalent research experience measured from the date when the researcher obtained the degree entitling him/her to embark on a doctorate) of their research careers and have not been awarded a doctoral degree.
Requirement 2 : Applicants must not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in the country of the recruiting institution for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately before the recruitment date. This excludes short stays such as holidays or compulsory national service.
Requirement 3 : Candidates should have a master level degree or equivalent in Chemist, Pharmacist, Biochemist or relative sciences. Experience in the research scope of MICROMETABOLITE is a vital asset.
EURAXESS offer ID: 229445
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.