RESEARCH FIELDComputer scienceEngineering
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE12/07/2017 23:00 - Europe/London
LOCATIONPortugal › Funchal
TYPE OF CONTRACTTo be defined
HOURS PER WEEKto be defined
OFFER STARTING DATE01/10/2017
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020
Closing date: 12-07-2017
Type of contract: full time
Start date: 01-10-2017 (expected)
Duration: 12 months, renewable up to 36 months
Monthly stipend: 980 Euros + Voluntary Social Security (SSV)
Job country: Portugal
Job city: Funchal
Job company/institute: M-ITI / LARSYS
Workplace: M-ITI / LARSYS
Main research field: Computer Science and Engineering - Smart Energy Systems - Renewable Integration
SMILE is an Horizon 2020 funded project with the goal of testing and demonstrating smart grid technologies, as well as business models, within large scale projects. SMILE involves three large scale pilot projects in three Island locations in Europe (Madeira in PT, Samsø in DK and Orkneys in the UK). The objective is to test solutions while establishing mutual learning processes and providing best practice guidance for replication in other regions of Europe.
The three pilots will test different combinations of technological solutions according to local specificities and conditions and the existing infrastructure and will involve all value chain actors needed to efficiently implement projects system-wide. Moreover, cross-cutting activities among the pilots will be devoted to solve common technical, organizational, legal, regulatory and market-related issues as well as to evaluate the solutions from the economic and business points of view.
The technological solutions are varied and include battery integration, heating, water storage, electric vehicles, power storage on boats and dynamic tariffs. These technologies will be applied to real pilots in the three islands, anticipating their impact and entering the market through the direct involvement of citizens.
In Portugal (Island of Madeira), the pilot project will have a particular emphasis on the integration of micro-production of electric energy.
The selected candidate will work in close collaboration with members from Prsma, EEM and ACIF in the deployment, maintenance and evaluation of three pilot projects:
- Deployment of smart-metering and storage technologies in solar PV installations for the purpose of Demand Side Management.
- Deployment of frequency control hardware in the same solar PV installations for the purpose of using such systems for frequency control in isolated grids.
- Evaluation and deployment of smart charging technology for Electric Vehicles, with the goal of studying the feasibility of such systems in Madeira Island.
Candidates should have the following requirements, skills and competences:
- Hold a MSc (or equivalent) in any of the main research areas
●Experience in the energy domain
- Very good programing skills (e.g., Java, Python, etc.)
- Knowledge of machine-learning and data science techniques
- Excellent spoken and written english skills is mandatory
- Previous research experience and the desire to pursue a PhD degree are a plus
How to apply:
Candidates must send an email to email@example.com no later than 12-07-2017. The subject of the email should be: SMILE-MITI-RH-RA-1.
The following elements should be included in the email:
- Updated Curriculum Vitae (mandatory)
-Motivation letter (mandatory)
- Optional list of publications and Google Scholar ID or ORCID
- Optional list of projects in the area that have already participated will be a plus
- Optional recommendation letters can contribute positively to the candidate evaluation
The curricular selection process will be based on:
-Educational background and graduation (40%)
- Technology related skills relevant for the project execution (30%)
- Skills and competences related to the project topics and workplan (20%)
- Communication and presentation skills, assessed from the CV or from optional interview (10%)
-Nuno Nunes, PhD, IST, M-ITI
-Valentina Nisi, PhD, UMa, M-ITI
-Maurizio Telli, PhD, M-ITI
Notification of results:
An email message with the result of the recruitment process will be sent to each applicant.
- The selection process will be based on the principle of non-discrimination in respect of gender, age, nationality, religion, racial group, or any other possible discriminatory issue. Selection will be made only based on merit and following the European Charter for Researchers, the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers (Commission Recommendation, Brussels, 11.3.2005, 2005/251/EC) and the recommendations from the San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment (DORA).
- M-ITI is a recognized “refugee welcoming organization" by the European Commission, follows the European Charter for Researchers and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals.
The deadline for application may be extended at any time without previous notice having in mind the requirements for the positions under this call.
EURAXESS offer ID: 224433