RESEARCH FIELDAgricultural sciences › Soil science
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE03/07/2017 23:00 - Europe/London
LOCATIONUnited Kingdom › Nottingham
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK37
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020 / Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions
REFERENCE NUMBERMSC-ESR 7
MARIE CURIE GRANT AGREEMENT NUMBER722642
ESR7 – The interactions of the endophytic nitrogen fixing bacterium Gluconacetobacter diazotrophicus with fungal endophytes and rhizosphere micro-organisms associated with ryegrass, Lolium perenne. ESR7 – The interactions of the endophytic nitrogen fixing bacterium Gluconacetobacter diazotrophicus with fungal endophytes and rhizosphere micro-organisms associated with ryegrass, Lolium perenne.
Azotic Technologies Ltd was established to develop and commercialise a natural nitrogen technology that provides a sustainable solution to fertiliser overuse.
Azotic Technologies has identified a new platform nitrogen technology; the Company will commercialise technologies based on this platform through appropriate partnerships in R&D and routes to market.
Azotic Technologies N-Fix® technology is based on a food grade bacterium Gluconacetobacter diazotrophicus (Gd) which is derived from sugarcane. N-Fix can be applied as an inoculant or as a seed dressing formulation. By inoculating plant seeds with this beneficial bacterium, it creates a symbiotic relationship for mutual benefit. This nitrogen-fixing bacterium is a patented disruptive technology which will have a huge impact on agriculture.
The position is offered in the frame of the project INTERFUTURE - From microbial interactions to new-concept biopesticides and biofertilizers, a Marie Sklodowska-Curie Innovative Training Network Action (link: http://cordis.europa.eu/project/rcn/207003_en.html)
The main objective of this ESR project is:
The successful candidate will be based at Azotic Technologies (18 months) and the Fondazione Edmund Mach (18 months) and will work in close collaboration with academic partners to study the plant-microbe interactions. The applicant will focus on investigating the synergistic or antagonistic effects of fungal endosymbionts and microbial communities on the colonisation and efficacy of nitrogen fixation in maize/wheat inoculated with Gd. The extent of variation of the interspecific competition in the rhizosphere of the soil micro-organisms and Gd as well as the soil type and other abiotic factors will also be assessed.
Applicants must satisfy the trans-national eligibility requirements for MSC Early Stage Researcher Fellowships, and must not have resided in the UK for more than 12 months in the last three years. The Fellowship is offered with a PhD position at the University of Nottingham, and will be subject to the candidate satisfying the University's admissions requirements for PhD study. Applicants should have (or expected to obtain) at least the equivalent of a UK upper second class honours degree and preferably a Masters degree in biology, microbiology or biotechnology, microbial/soil ecology or a related discipline.
Candidates who are not native English speakers will be required to provide evidence for their English skills (Knowledge of written and spoken English, minimum level B2, evaluated during the interview).
In addition, the ESR will be required to undertake training according to the INTERFUTURE training programme that integrates traditional doctoral activities (research-oriented) with product development-oriented training:
- network wide training activities (workshops, summer and winter schools, seminars) and courses, planned for all ESRs across the EU-wide network;
- local training, based on the development of the individual research project, with a strong tutoring by highly qualified supervisors, also including important complementary skill training;
- secondments, providing additional skills, networking and inter-sectoriality;
- participation in international Conferences, which allow the ESRs to measure the relevance of their research in a wider scientific context and to disseminate their results.
Salary and benefits
An annual salary will be paid at UK/EU rates according to H2020-MSCA-ITN-2016 scheme and will vary depending on individual applicants situation at the appointment time.
The Marie Skłodowska-Curie programme offers highly competitive and attractive salary and working conditions. Exact salary will be confirmed upon appointment, between the brackets of £29,708.00 - £37,326.00 per annum in accordance with the EU Marie Sklodowska-Curie financial guidelines for this scheme.
Furthermore, PhD tuition fees for the ESR are covered and the research project is aimed at defending a thesis and obtaining a PhD degree. In addition to their individual scientific projects, all positions will benefit from further continuing training, which includes summer schools and secondments (All ESRs will be seconded at least once at another partner premises), a variety of training courses as well as transferable skill courses, active participation in workshops and conferences, and exposure to SMEs and Universities from the different European countries involved in INTERFUTURE.
More information on the Work Programme 2016/2017 can be found here:
Requirements necessary for participation (eligibility criteria)
Applicants should meet the following:
- be at the time of recruitment in the first four years of research career (full-time equivalent research experience*) calculated from the date on which the Master degree was obtained;
- not have been awarded a Doctoral Degree;
- not have resided or carried out his/her main activity in the country of the host institute for more than 12 months in the last three years immediately prior to the reference recruitment date;
- be proficient in both written and spoken English (IELTS or similar tests that are approved by UKVI, or a degree completed in an English-speaking country). In the event that it is ascertained that the candidate does not have knowledge of English equivalent to level B2, the candidate will be excluded from the recruitment process.
*‘Full-time equivalent research experience’ is measured from the date when the researcher obtained the degree entitling him/her to embark on a doctorate (either in the country in which the degree was obtained or in the country in which the researcher is recruited or seconded) – even if a doctorate was never started or envisaged.
Criteria for the recruitment procedure
The results of the recruitment process will be based on the sum of points obtained from qualifications and interview. Applications will be evaluated by all the involved supervisors
On the basis of the information contained in the CV or demonstrated by candidates, based on the highest scores obtained following the criteria below, will be selected and admitted to the interview phase:
- experience in addition to the minimum requirements (eligibility) on the above mentioned ESR topics as researcher (Fellowships, Stipends, Grants), employee or stage in qualified labs/research organizations/universities
- relatedness of master thesis (Title and abstract) to the above ESR topics
After this first round, successful candidates will be contacted for the interview.
During the interview, that will be held in English, the following knowledge will be verified:
- The role played by microorganisms in plant growth, procedures to isolate microorganisms from plant tissues, microbial traits associated with control of plant diseases
- Identification at species level of microorganisms, molecular markers for monitoring microorganisms in the environment, workflow for the determination of plant microbiome
- Knowledge of the activities and organisation of Azotic Technologies Limited
- The candidate, should have the European Computer Driving Licence (ECDL) or equivalent knowledge, knowledge of Office package or similar (Word, Excel, Power point), statistic software as R, SPSS or Statistica. Also in case of possession of the ECDL, the computer skills will be assessed during the interview
This position involves a secondment of 18 months to the Fondazione Edmund Mach (San Michele all’Adige, Italy) under the supervision of Dr. Ilaria Pertot, who will train the ESR in specific areas of research.
How to present applications. Deadline is 03/07/2017 at 23:59 (CET)
To apply for the position, please email the following documents to the hiring party at Azotic Technologies Limited. (firstname.lastname@example.org) quoting reference "MSC-ESR7"
- the curriculum vitae (CV), including contact details, education, work experience, technical and scientific publications, prizes/awards, language skills. The CV should reflect a representative array of achievements and qualifications appropriate to the post for which application is being made. The CV must be saved with file extension: Surname Name_CV.doc , or .pdf.
- Official academic record of undertaken courses & grades for Bachelor (and Master if required in specific criteria) degree.
- A motivational letter in which the applicant describes his or her motivation to pursue postgraduate studies and to conduct the research project applied for. The applicant is asked to mention the ESR position s/he apply for on the motivational letter. In case of application to multiple positions, the applicant is asked to motivate his interest in the projects selected.
- Contact details of three referees willing to write confidential letters of recommendation.
- Your application will be forwarded to the involved supervisor(s) for further evaluation.
The deadline is 03/07/2017.
Applications received shortly after the deadline are likely to be considered. Priority will be given to applications received before 15 June 2017. After this first round each institute will contact successful candidates.
The successful candidate will also need to submit a formal PhD application on the University of Nottingham system. Instructions will be sent after offers of employment have been accepted. Any offer is subject to eligibility to work in the UK.
For more information on this position, please contact the hiring party: Azotic Technologies Limited
Azotic Technologies is an equal opportunities employer, committed to promoting equality, diversity and fairness irrespective of age, disability, gender, pregnancy or marital status, race, religion or belief, sexual orientation or gender identity.
Prospective students should have the background and expertise required for the position (to be filled):
- Master Degree in the field of biology, microbiology or biotechnology, microbial/soil ecology or a related discipline
- Experience in fundamental concepts of plant-microbe interactions.
- Knowledge of microbiology, biology or biotechnology
- Knowledge of Italian self-certified in the pre-selection process, will be considered as an additional selection criteria.
- Excellent English writing and verbal communication skills as well as the ability to work in an international environment are essential
Duration and start date
The candidate will be employed as a Junior Researcher at Azotic Technologies Ltd for 36 months under the supervision of Dr. David Dent.
The candidate will be also enrolled as PhD student at the at the University of Nottingham under the supervision of Dr. Rupert Fray.
EURAXESS offer ID: 222645