RESEARCHER PROFILEEstablished Researcher (R3)
APPLICATION DEADLINE28/07/2017 12:00 - Europe/Athens
LOCATIONItaly › Orbassano
TYPE OF CONTRACTTo be defined
HOURS PER WEEK40
OFFER STARTING DATE04/09/2017
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020 / SME Innovation Associate
We are IRIS Srl, an innovative PMI from Turin, Italy.
Born in 2012, we specialise in developing innovative, small scale and low cost devices for treating unrecyclable solid waste and for purifying (waste)water and liquid foodstuff. Currently employing 6 members of staff, we are growing fast and currently looking for a specialist (grade R3 “Established Researcher”) to join our team developing our GreenPlasma, a small scale, patent pending small scale system for pyrolysing solid waste using plasma technology.
This job offer is for an initial 12 months starting from September 2017. The position might be extended if the objectives of the project are met.
The device to be redesigned allows for onsite thermal treatment of unsorted waste with recovery of heat and energy and production of an inert residue that can be used as construction aggregate. As a standalone device or integrated into one-stop municipal solid waste treatment unit, the system is suitable for small communities, like islands or mountain villages where waste collection is costly and inefficient, and delivers back to the grid part of the energy it consumes.
The development work foreseen is mainly on the evolution of the current design of the core reactor and the integration of units for pre- and post-treatment. More specifically, the SME Associate will be expected to undertake the following activities:
- MAIN OBJECTIVE: Redesigning the device into a semi-batch or continuous process to a TRL6 within the 12 months (deliverable of the project the SME Associate is recruited for);
- SECONDARY OBJECTIVES:
- Completing the device by adding same scale pre- and post-treatment, by miniaturising existing and established technologies and by optimising the overall process;
- Ensuring all the requirements of the foreseen main application (a “domestic” waste pyrolyser) are met in terms of e.g. industry standards, safety of use by non-technical users and for improper use, and ability to integrate in a domestic context including connecting to the grid (electricity and methane distribution);
- Devising an innovation project (industrialisation and commercialisation) that will start at the end of the 12 months if the objectives are achieved and that will be implemented by the SME Associate if he/she wished to accept the challenge and the position;
- Initiating the declination of the GreenPlasma device in other applications, including scale ups, use on board of unmanned vehicles and vessels, integration of renewables, treatment of hazardous waste etc in a longer term role as Head of product development once the commercialisation of the device is starting.
The ideal candidate can work independently and has a hands-on approach as she/he will work on the development of the devices as well as some performance testing; he/she will be expected to manage both the scientific/technical and the project management aspects of the work with support from the administrative and senior staff within IRIS. The specialist will be working with our friendly team of engineers and scientists and she/he will be also cooperating with experts from local and European Universities and companies to develop the technology through research and innovation projects. There will be some travel within Italy and Europe for meetings, participation to conferences and visits.
An attractive salary of around €45000 gross and a relocation package of up to €5000 gross is on offer, with additional perks such as one-year Italian language course and local transport ticket.
NB: this job is offered thanks to a grant by the Horizon2020 SME Innovation Associate. Under the term of that grant, the candidate is expected to:
- have a PhD or equivalent,
- meet the transnational mobility requirements (i.e. not having spent more than 12 months in total in Italy in the 3 years before the start of the assignment) and
- be available to start his/her job in September 2017.
Italian for foreigners class for up to one year
One year season ticket for local transport
One year Turin Museums Pass
Transnational mobility: less than 12 months spent in Italy in the previous 3 years
Holder of suitable visa for working in Italy
At least 12 month committment
Selection based on CV and motivation letter, followed by a skype interview.
A second interview in person in Turin might be required
Web site for additional job details
Required Research Experiences
YEARS OF RESEARCH EXPERIENCE4 - 10
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELEngineering: PhD or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Good
Processes and plants
Ability to work independently
Problem solving attitude
Interested in developing innovation from idea to market
EURAXESS offer ID: 212833