ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversity of Durham
RESEARCH FIELDEngineering › Materials engineering
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE08/05/2017 12:00 - Europe/Athens
LOCATIONUnited Kingdom › Durham
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK35
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020 / Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions
MARIE CURIE GRANT AGREEMENT NUMBER722176
Reference Number: 005566
Job title: “Marie Curie” Doctoral Research Fellowship (PhD)
Advanced multifunctional nanowire network devices
Duration: 3 years
Department: School of Engineering & Computing Sciences
Location: Durham City
Opening Date: 6th April 2017
Closing Date: 8th May 2017 (Midday)
Gross Living Allowance: € 44895.96 plus mobility allowance (€7200) per year.
Salary is subject to national taxes and employer’s costs.
H2020 Marie Curie Actions- Innovative Training Network
Innovative Nanowire DEvicE Design
PhD Research project
As device miniaturization brought about by the More’s law reaches its limits, it has become imperative to envision the development emerging devices for the next generation of computers and nanoelectronics. Traditionally, one device performs one unique function. This project will investigate the feasibility devices that can perform multiple functions.
In particular, it will focus on the fabrication and characterisation of multi-function devices based on networks of semiconductor nanowires and nanomaterials (NWs) within a host matrix. Understanding the relevance of percolation in random NW networks is essential to correlate the device functions to the physical properties of NW network. Using a sensing membrane platform, the research will investigate how materials may be prepared (evolved) to perform computation, i.e. known as evolution-in-materio. It the core objective is to correlate material physical properties to device performance and to their computational response. This, in turn, will enable the user to select and tune the functions to be performed by the device produced. Process scalability and device integration are equally important to underpin the transition of NWs from laboratory to industry. This research will be carried out in close collaboration with industry.
The PhD research project will be carried out in close collaboration between Engineering Physics departments at Durham University but with members and Marie Curie fellows of the INDEED innovative training network. The appointment will be made purely on academic merits and in line with recruitment criteria. However, any prior knowledge and/or experience in some of the following areas will be a bonus: publication, cleanroom, nanowires, modelling, materials, microscopy and nanotechnology.
There are two positions available on this project, for details of the other position please see vacancy reference 005767.
The candidates must meet all the criteria listed below
- Be in the first four years (full-time equivalent research experience) of his/her research career and not have a doctoral degree at the time of recruitment by the host organisation. Full-Time Equivalent Research Experience is measured from the date when the researcher obtained the degree entitling him/her to embark on a doctorate (either in the country in which the degree was obtained or in the country in which the researcher is recruited, even if a doctorate was never started or envisaged. However, full time spent on non-research related activities may be discounted, where each case is evaluated on its own merit.
- At the time of recruitment by the host organisation, must not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in the country of their host organisation for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately prior to the reference date. Short stays such as holidays and/or compulsory national service are not taken into account.
- Prior to starting their position, the successful fellows must have completed the courses that would have allowed them to enrol in a doctorate program either in the country where they are studying or in the country offering the position.
Living, mobility and family allowances
- Gross living allowance is subject to employment laws and employer costs deduction.
- Mobility Allowance: In addition to the salary, the successful fellows will receive a mobility allowance of 7200 Euros per annum. Fellows married at the time of recruitment are also eligible to receive a family allowance of 6000 Euros per annum. All of the payments are subject to relevant host country employment laws and deductions of all compulsory contributions for both employer and employee.
The INDEED project
Nanowires (NWs) exhibit unique properties that make them potential building blocks for a variety of next generation NanoElectronics devices. Recent advances have shown that NWs with predefined properties can be grown, offering a new paradigm enabling functional device prototypes including: biosensors, solar cells, transistors, quantum light sources and lasers. The critical mass of scientific knowledge gained now needs to be translated into of NW technologies for industry. FP7-MSCA NanoEmbrace (ITN) and FUNPROB (IRSES) , made substantial contributions to NW research, producing excellent scientific and technological results (> 100 journal papers published) and delivering outstanding training in nanoscience and transferable skills to ESRs.
Despite demonstrable scientific and technological advantages of NWs, NW-based technology concepts have not yet been translated into market-ready products, because industry and academia have not worked hand-in-hand to commercialize the research findings. Thus, it is essential that NW research is now directed towards customer-oriented scientific R&D; whilst applying innovative industrial design techniques to ensure rapid translation of the basic technologies into commercial devices.
This ambitious challenge requires close collaboration between academia and the nascent NW industry, combining the efforts of scientists and engineers to address market needs. Building upon our previous achievements, a team of leading scientific experts from top institutions in Europe, strengthened by experts in innovative design and industrial partners with an excellent track record of converting cutting edge scientific ideas into market products has formed the INDEED network to address this challenge. To enhance employability, INDEED will train young ESRs to become experts with a unique skill set that includes interdisciplinary scientific techniques, industrial experience through R&D secondments and innovative design skills.
The successful candidates must satisfy the eligibility criteria (see below ) and have:
- An excellent academic record in physics, engineering, material sciences or related areas.
- A keen interest in pursuing research in nanotechnology, and in particular the science and technology of nanowires
- The ability to work independently and as a member of a research team.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- A good command of English language, with excellent oral and written skills.
Any or combination of the following will be a clear advantage.
- A demonstrable ability or potential to produce research published in peer-reviewed journals.
- A good strategic fit with existing research expertise in the host institution and the INDEED network
- Knowledge of, or willingness to learn, the language of the host institution.
- Perform high quality research in the bespoke research project under the guidance of the supervisory team.
- Meet the members of the supervisory team on a regular basis.
- Participate in the activities of the Network as specified in the Grant Agreement and/or required by the node coordinator, including secondments in other network nodes and taking part in the network meetings and in the training activities.
- Write up the results of the research activity and present research papers and publications at meetings and conferences, as advised by the supervisors.
- Widen the personal knowledge in the research area and undertake complementary training.
- Keep records of the activities, such as research, training, secondments, visits, leave of absence, etc.
EURAXESS offer ID: 208343