RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE15/05/2017 23:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONPortugal › Lisbon
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40
Call for Applications
Doctoral Programme Scholarships
Call for applications for 5 PhD scholarships (2 national PhD scholarships and 3 mixed PhD scholarships) in the context of the Doctoral Programme in Philosophy of Science, Technology, Art and Society
Applications from March 30th to May 15th 2017
Center of Philosophy of Sciences (CFCUL), Faculty of Fine-Arts (ULisbon), Faculty of Sciences (ULisbon), Faculty of Law (ULisbon), Faculty of Letters (ULisbon), Institute of Social Sciences (ULisbon), Higher Technical Institute (ULisbon), Institute of Systems and Robotics (ULisbon), ), Polytechnic Institute of Lisbon, University of Aveiro and University of Seville
The Doctoral Programme in Philosophy of Science, Technology, Art and Society of the University of Lisbon was selected for financial support within the 2012 call for PhD Programmes of the Foundation for Science and Technology (FCT, IP), being awarded with 5 PhD scholarships per year, of which 3 are mixed1 and 2 are national.
According to the FCT PhD Programme regulations, the Directive Board has the responsibility to select the students that will receive the PhD scholarships through contracts signed directly with FCT, IP. Thus, in accordance with the Regulations on Advanced Training and Qualification of Human Resources of the Foundation for Science and Technology, the Directive Board of the FCT Doctoral Programme in Philosophy of Science, Technology, Art and Society open this call for applications to 5 PhD scholarships (2 national and 3 mixed) for the academic year 2017–2018, starting on September 2017.
 Mixed scholarships imply that the work plan will take place partially in a Portuguese institution. The development of the work plan in a foreign institution is dependent on budget availability of the funding institution and cannot in any case exceed two years.
MONTHLY STIPENDS VALUES
The stipends values of the PhD scholarships are those provided by the FCT stipends available at http://www.fct.pt/apoios/bolsas/valores.phtml.en.
The grants awarded under this contract will be financed by funds from the State Budget of the Ministry of Education and Science and, when eligible, by funds from the European Social Fund through the Human Potential Operating Program of the Portuguese NSRF 2007-2013, in accordance with the provisions of the Specific Regulation of Intervention Typology 4.1.
Any cases not addressed in the present call are covered by the Regulations for Research Grants of the Foundation for Science and Technology, available at http://alfa.fct.mctes.pt/apoios/bolsas/regulamento.phtml.
CRITERIA FOR ADMISSION
- Academic qualifications:
- To hold a master degree (or legal equivalent) with a classification equal or superior to sixteen out of twenty in the area or related area that are listed in the Doctoral Program, and
- To hold a scientific, artistic and/or professional curriculum that must be recognized by the Directive Board of the Doctoral Programme as attesting the capacity to carry out this cycle of studies; or
- To hold a graduation degree with a final classification equal or superior to sixteen out of twenty in the area or related area from those listed in the Doctoral Programme and to hold a scientific, artistic and/or professional curriculum that must be recognized by the Directive Board of the Doctoral Programme as attesting the capacity to carry out this cycle of studies.
- To submit a doctoral thesis proposal in one of the specialty areas of the Doctoral Programme (Logic and Philosophy of Science, Philosophy of Technology, Science and Society, Bioethics and Science and Art).
- To submit a declaration of preliminary acceptance to supervise the proposed Doctoral thesis by at least one of the Professors of the Doctoral Programme, who will be the tutor / mentor of the candidate during the PhD course, if selected; in case the candidate does not submit the mentioned declaration, the Scientific Committee suggests to the candidate, once admitted to the program and after auscultation of the same, a tutor / mentor.
The evaluation will be done in two stages. In the first stage it is evaluate the merit of the PhD thesis proposal and the merit of the candidate. The evaluation criteria and their corresponding weigh are the following: Criterion 1. PhD thesis proposal (40%); Criterion 2. Curriculum vitae in the Doctoral Programme area (40%); Criterion 3. Research experience and academic curriculum in the area or non-related areas of the Doctoral Programme (10%); Criterion 4. Other curriculum elements (10%). Each one of these evaluation criteria will be scored 0-20. The final rating of each candidate in the first stage, rounded to one decimal, results from the application of the following formula:
First stage evaluation = [(Criterion 1 * 0,40) + (Criterion 2 * 0,40) + (Criterion 3 *0,10) + Criterion 4 * 0,10)]
The first evaluation stage is concluded with the ranking of applicants according to their first stage evaluation, rounded to one decimal. Move forward to the second stage of evaluation the fifteen candidates receiving the highest rating. The second evaluation stage consists of a personal interview that is ranked 0-20. The final evaluation of candidates results from the application of the following formula:
Final evaluation = [(Evaluation obtained in the first stage * 0,75) + (Evaluation obtained in the second stage * 0,25)]
ANNOUNCEMENT OF RESULTS
The results will be published at http://phd-fctas.fc.ul.pt. In the case of an unfavorable award decision (i.e. for applicants not selected to receive grants), the applicant has a period of 10 days after disclosure, to be heard by the Evaluation Panel, by request of a preliminary hearing, pursuant to the Portuguese Código do Procedimento Administrativo. The final decision may be appealed to the Directive Board of the doctoral program, within 15 days after the respective notification.
The evaluation panel is chaired by the Program Director, Professor Maria Fernanda dos Santos Martins da Palma Pereira (Faculty of Law, University of Lisbon), and includes the following members of the Doctoral Programme: Professors Ana Nunes de Almeida (Institute of Social Sciences, University of Lisbon),Cristina de Sousa Azevedo Tavares (Faculty of Fine-Arts, University of Lisbon), Jorge Miguel Luz Marques da Silva (Faculty of Sciences, University of Lisbon), José Luís Oliveira Garcia (Institute of Social Sciences, University of Lisbon), Maria João Monteiro Brilhante (Faculty of Letters, University of Lisbon), Nuno Gabriel de Castro Nabais dos Santos (Faculty of Letters, University of Lisbon/ Centre for Philosophy of Sciences of the University of Lisbon), Olga Maria Pombo Martins (Centre for Philosophy of Sciences of the University of Lisbon), Rodrigo Ventura (Higher Technical Institute, University of Lisbon) and Rui António Nobre Moreira (History and Philosophy of Sciences Department of the Faculty of Sciences, University of Lisbon).
APPLICABLE LAW AND REGULATIONS
Statute of the Research Fellow, approved in annex to Law No. 40/2004 of 18th August, amended by Decree-Law 202/2012 of 27th, and 233/2012 of 29th October, and also by Law No. 12/2013 of 29th January, and Decree-Law No. 89/2013 of 9th July.
Grants Regulation of the FCT, IP, approved by Regulation No 234/2012, published in the Official Gazette, Series II, of 25 June 2012, as amended by Regulations Nos 326/2013, published in the Journal of Republic, Series II, of 27 July 2013 and 339/2015, published in the Official Gazette, Series II, of 17 June 2015.
Detailed information is available at http://phd-fctas.fc.ul.pt
Inquiries should be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applicants should be submitted via e-mail to email@example.com and should include the following mandatory documents:
1. Motivation letter;
2. Certificate of academic qualification scanned from the original or certified copy. The original or the certified copy must be sent by registered mail with acknowledgment of receipt to:
Programa de Doutoramento FCTAS
Centro de Filosofia das Ciências da Universidade de Lisboa
Campo Grande C4.3.24,
3. Complete and detailed Curriculum vitae;
4. PhD thesis proposal structured in Title, Abstract, State of the art, Objectives, Detailed description of the work plan and References
5. Declaration of preliminary acceptance of orientation of the proposed doctoral thesis by a Professor of the Doctoral Programme, who will assume the role of Tutor / Mentor of the candidate during the PhD Course if he is selected; If the candidate does not present the mentioned declaration, the Scientific Committee will suggest to the candidate, once admitted to the Program and after hearing it, a Tutor / Mentor;
6. Clarification about the employment status during the period of the scholarship (a declaration in which you explain what is going to be your employment status, employed/not employed/other, will be sufficient);
7. Copy of the identification document (Citizen card or passport) and the Fiscal Identification number;
8. Certificate of permanent residence, permanent residence permission or long-term resident status, if applicable;
9. Two recommendation letters sent directly to the Directive Board of the Doctoral Programme (see the a.m. address on point 2.);
10. Indication of the type of scholarship you are applying for (national or mixed).
EURAXESS offer ID: 198126
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.