ORGANISATION/COMPANYInstitute of High Pressure Physics Polish Academy of Sciences
RESEARCH FIELDPhysics › Applied physicsPhysics › Solid state physics
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE26/04/2017 12:00 - Europe/Athens
LOCATIONPoland › Warszaw
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40
OFFER STARTING DATE01/05/2017
We look for a candidate to strenghten our research team working on the following project:
"Tunnel junction and its applications for GaN based optoelectronics”
Project is carried out within the TeamTECH programme of the Foundation for Polish Science
New concept of p-n tunnel junctions and their application in novel optoelectronic GaN-based devices will be investigated. Tunnel junctions may be applied to multicolor LEDs, vertical laser diodes, high power laser diode arrays, efficient solar cells or vertical n-p-n transistors. These devices will be fabricated using plasma assisted molecular beam epitaxy.
The project will involve collaboration between the Institute of High Pressure Physics Polis Academy of Sciences, Faculty of Physics Warsaw University, Faculty of Physics Wrocław University of Technology, Technical Universities of Madrid and Montpellier and TopGaN company, that develops commercial nitride laser diode solutions.
The innovative concept proposed in the project is based on the unique construction of the p-n tunnel junction that provides high tunneling efficiency through the junction minimizing its resistivity. The concept makes use of very high electric fields present in wurtzite crystal structure that modify the nitride tunnel junctions properties.
We will aim at fabrication edge-emitting laser diodes emitting at 480-490 nm (DFB – Distributed Feedback) and cascade multicolor LEDs. We will investigate the possibility of the application of tunnel junctions in monolithic vertical cavity surface emitting laser diodes (VCSELs).
Scientific results obtained in the Project will be commercialized in TopGaN company that will support the scientists in laser diodes and LEDs processing.
Scientific experience and work in an international team in the Institute of long gallium nitride GaN-related research. Collaboration with University in Montpellier in France, Universidad Politécnica de Madrid in Spain, University of Waterloo in Canada, Paul-Drude Institut in Berlin. Possibilities to attend conferences. The PhD student will be offered a stipend of 4500 PLN.
We will contact selected candidates and invite them for recruitment talks that are planned on April 27 and 28, 2017
The PhD student will be offered a stipend.
Web site for additional job details
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELPhysics: Master Degree or equivalentEngineering: Master Degree or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Excellent
Key responsibilities include:
1. Molecular Beam Epitaxy (MBE)of laser diode structures with tunnel junction
2. Optical and electrical characterization of laser diodes: electroluminescence, optical gain measurements (differential gain) Hakki-Paoli method, far-field and L-I-V measurements of laser diodes
3. Theoretical calculations on the carrier injection to the active region, tunnel junction optimization for decreased series resistance
Profile of candidates/requirements:
1. MSc or MA degree in Physics or Engineering sciences
2. PhD status (enrolled on PhD studies)
3. Scientific publications will be an asset
4. Good understanding of solid state physics and quantum mechanics.
5. Knowledge on the properties of semiconductors of wurzite structure (with electric fields) and knowledge of their characterization methods
6. Experience in molecular beam epitaxy (MBE) and/or processing will be an asset
7. Very good command of English (oral and written)
8. Motivation and passion for experimental work
1. Application letter
3. Essay describing scientific interests and achievements of the candidate, including the information about candidate contributions to scientific projects if applicable. Maximum length 3500 characters.
4. Copy (scan) of the university diploma.
5. Document confirming the PhD status.
EURAXESS offer ID: 197856