ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversity of Copenhagen
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE10/04/2017 12:00 - Europe/London
LOCATIONDenmark › Copenhagen
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK37
Nanowire DEvicE Designs As-grown epitaxial nanowire networks for scaling quantum computing The Center for Quantum Devices at the Niels Bohr Institute, University of Copenhagen, announces the opening Ph.D. position to develop hybrid superconductor-semiconductor materials for quantum transport electronic structures. The project work will involve bottom-up nano-structured crystal growth, structural and electronic characterization, with the overarching goal of making low dimensional components for topological quantum information processing. This research fellowship programme (PhD) will be carried out within the context of the INDEED network, a Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions– Innovative Training Network (ITN) – project funded by the European Commission, under their H2020 program. Through the project activities, the Fellows/PhD students will have the opportunity to come in contact and collaborate with some of the best European research groups. English is the official language of the INDEED project. Additional details are available in “Further particulars”. The position includes obligations as teaching assistant, courses and travelling.
- Perform high quality research in the bespoke research project under the guidance of the supervisory team.
- Meet the members of the supervisory team on a regular basis
- Participate in the activities of the Network as specified in the Grant Agreement and/or required by the node coordinator, including secondments in other network nodes and taking part in the network meetings and in the training activities.
- Write up the results of the research activity and present research papers and publications at meetings and conferences, as advised by the supervisors.
- Widen the personal knowledge in the research area and undertake complementary training.
- Keep records of the activities, such as research, training, secondments, visits, leave of absence, etc.
The successful candidate will be enrolled as a Ph.D. student at the University of Copenhagen and must satisfy the eligibility criteria (see below) and have:
- An excellent academic record in physics, engineering, material sciences or related areas.
- A keen interest in pursuing research in nanotechnology, and in particular the science and technology of nanowires
- The ability to work independently and as a member of a research team.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- A good command of English language, with excellent oral and written skills.
Desirable Any or combination of the following will be a clear advantage:
- A demonstrable ability or potential to produce research published in peer-reviewed journals.
- A good strategic fit with existing research expertise in the host institution and the INDEED network
- Knowledge of, or willingness to learn, the language of the host institution (Danish).
Terms of salary and employment
Starting date 1st of May 2017 or soon thereafter.
The appointment as PhD fellow is for 3 years. It is conditioned upon the candidates’ successful enrolment in the PhD programme. The PhD study must be completed in accordance with The Ministerial Order on the PhD programme (2013) and the University’s rules on achieving the degree. The position is covered by the Memorandum on Job Structure for Academic Staff.
Gross Living Allowance: Salary, pension and terms of employment are in accordance with the agreement between the Ministry of Finance and The Danish Confederation of Professional Associations on Academics in the State. The monthly salary is 4207.83 EUR includes pension. Mobility allowance is paid in addition to living allowance.
Further particulars Living, mobility and family allowances - Gross living allowance is subject to employment laws and employer costs deduction. - Mobility Allowance: In addition to the salary, the successful fellows will receive a mobility allowance of 7200 Euros per annum. Fellows married at the time of recruitment are also eligible to receive a family allowance of 6000 Euros per annum. All of the payments are subject to relevant host country employment laws and deductions of all compulsory contributions for both employer and employee.
The INDEED project Nanowires (NWs) exhibit unique properties that make them potential building blocks for a variety of next generation NanoElectronics devices. Recent advances have shown that NWs with predefined properties can be grown, offering a new paradigm enabling functional device prototypes including: biosensors, solar cells, transistors, quantum light sources and lasers. The critical mass of scientific knowledge gained now needs to be translated into of NW technologies for industry. FP7-MSCA NanoEmbrace (ITN) and FUNPROB (IRSES) , made substantial contributions to NW research, producing excellent scientific and technological results (> 100 journal papers published) and delivering outstanding training in nanoscience and transferable skills to ESRs.
Despite demonstrable scientific and technological advantages of NWs, NW-based technology concepts have not yet been translated into market-ready products, because industry and academia have not worked hand-in-hand to commercialize the research findings. Thus, it is essential that NW research is now directed towards customer-oriented scientific R&D; whilst applying innovative industrial design techniques to ensure rapid translation of the basic technologies into commercial devices.
This ambitious challenge requires close collaboration between academia and the nascent NW industry, combining the efforts of scientists and engineers to address market needs. Building upon our previous achievements, a team of leading scientific experts from top institutions in Europe, strengthened by experts in innovative design and industrial partners with an excellent track record of converting cutting edge scientific ideas into market products has formed the INDEED network to address this challenge. To enhance employability, INDEED will train young ESRs to become experts with a unique skill set that includes interdisciplinary scientific techniques, industrial experience through R&D secondments and innovative design skills.
The INDEED consortium Coordinator: University of Durham, Durham UK. Academic Beneficiaries (10 including coordinator) Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne (Switzerland) ; Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche (CNR, Italy: Institute of Microcroelectronics and Microsystems, Rome and Istituto Officina dei Materiali, Trieste); University of Copenhagen (Denmark); Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique (CNRS, France: Centre for Nanosciences and Nanotechnology, Paris and Institut supérieur de l'électronique et du numérique, Lille); Lappeenranta Institute of Technology (Finland); University of Newcastle (UK); Lunds University (Sweden); The University of Liverpool (UK); Université Paris-Sud (France).
Industrial Beneficiaries (2) Innolume GmbH (Dortmund, Germany); Imina Technogies (Lausanne, Switzerland).
Associate Partners (13) ITMO University (Russia), PragmatIC Printing (UK), Peratech (UK), Horiba (France), Digital Surf (France), Thundernil (Italy), APE research(Italy), Quantum DX (UK), Microsoft Station Q (Denmark), Semimetrics Ltd (UK), Université Paris-Saclay (France), Höganäs (Sweden), General Electric (Germany), Riber (France).
Further information: Peter Krogstrup Jeppesen firstname.lastname@example.org
Application: The application must be submitted electronically.
Application deadline: 10. April 2017.
- Cover Letter, stating your motivation and background for applying for the specific PhD project.
- Diploma and transcripts of records (BSc and MSc) •Other information for consideration, e.g. list of publications (if any)
- Full contact details (Name, address, telephone & email) of 1-3 professional referees Shortlist: After expiry of the application deadline, the superior with power to appoint selects a number of applicants for assessment on the advice of the Appointments Committee.
All applicants are immediately notified whether their application has been passed for assessment. Applicants who were not passed for assessment should not expect further with regard to their application unless the shortlist is revised.
Eligibility Criteria The candidates must meet all the criteria listed below
- Be in the first four years (full-time equivalent research experience) of his/her research career and not have a doctoral degree at the time of recruitment by the host organisation. Full-Time Equivalent Research Experience is measured from the date when the researcher obtained the degree entitling him/her to embark on a doctorate (either in the country in which the degree was obtained or in the country in which the researcher is recruited, even if a doctorate was never started or envisaged. However, full time spent on non-research related activities may be discounted, where each case is evaluated on its own merit.
- At the time of recruitment by the host organisation, must not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in the country of their host organisation for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately prior to the reference date. Short stays such as holidays and/or compulsory national service are not taken into account.
- Prior to starting their position, the successful fellows must have completed the courses that would have allowed them to enrol in a doctorate program either in the country where they are studying or in the country offering the position.
* Note that female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply
EURAXESS offer ID: 197824