ORGANISATION/COMPANYConsiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche
RESEARCH FIELDPhysics › Condensed matter propertiesPhysics › Solid state physics
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE01/05/2017 23:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONItaly › Trieste
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK36
OFFER STARTING DATE31/10/2017
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020 / Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions
MARIE CURIE GRANT AGREEMENT NUMBER722176
PhD Research Project
Semiconductor nanowires (NWs) exhibit unique properties that make them potential building blocks for the next generation of nanoelectronics devices. Direct integration of NWs into devices, where NW ensembles are employed “as-grown” on their substrate, relies however on the availability of ordered arrays of identical nanowires.
The PhD research project will focus on the growth of ordered arrays of identical III-As NWS, with special interest to NW heterostructures incorporating 0-dimensional and 1-dimensional diluted magnetic semiconductors (DMS). The activity will involve the preparation of patterned substrate by nanofabrication techniques, the growth of the nanowires by metal assisted molecular beam epitaxy (MBE), and their morphological characterisation by scanning electron microscopy.
The activity will take place at IOM, exploiting the existing multi-chamber ultra high vacuum (UHV) system composed by two MBE growth chamber, a metallisation chamber and an analysis chamber for x-ray photoemission spectroscopy, and the fully equipped nanofabrication laboratory. The research project will be developed in close collaboration with the IMM-CNR laboratory, also a member of INDEED, where the nanowires optical properties will be investigated by time resolved spectroscopy.
This research fellowship programme (PhD) will be carried out within the context of the INDEED network, a Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions– Innovative Training Network
(ITN) – project funded by the European Commission, under their H2020 program. Through the project activities, the Fellows/PhD students will have the opportunity to come in contact and collaborate with some of the best European research groups.
- Perform high quality research in the bespoke research project under the guidance of the supervisory team.
- Meet the members of the supervisory team on a regular basis.
- Participate in the activities of the Network as specified in the Grant Agreement and/or required by the node coordinator, including secondments in other network nodes and taking part in the network meetings and in the training activities.
- Write up the results of the research activity and present research papers and publications at meetings and conferences, as advised by the supervisors.
- Widen the personal knowledge in the research area and undertake complementary training.
- Keep records of the activities, such as research, training, secondments, visits, leave of absence, etc.
The successful candidates must satisfy the eligibility criteria (see below ) and have:
- An excellent academic record in physics, engineering, material sciences or related areas, with a solid academic background in Semiconductor Physics or Solid State Physics.
- A keen interest in pursuing research in nanotechnology, and in particular the science and technology of nanowires
- The ability to work independently and as a member of a research team.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- A good command of English language, with excellent oral and written skills.
* Note that female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.
Any or combination of the following will be a clear advantage.
- A demonstrable ability or potential to produce research published in peer-reviewed journals.
- A good strategic fit with existing research expertise in the host institution and the INDEED network
- Knowledge of, or a strong willingness to learn Italian.
Gross Living Allowance 39820.44 € per year (plus a mobility allowance of 21600 € over the whole 3-years period, and a family allowance, if
eligible, depending on the marital status).
Salary is subject to national taxes and employer’s costs.
All people resident in Italy during their working period benefit of the Italian National Health System
The candidate must meet all the criteria listed below:
- Be in the first four years (full-time equivalent research experience) of his/her research career and not have a doctoral degree at the time of recruitment by the host organisation. Full-Time Equivalent Research Experience is measured from the date when the researcher obtained the degree entitling him/her to embark on a doctorate (either in the country in which the degree was obtained or in the country in which the researcher is recruited, even if a doctorate was never started or envisaged. However, full time spent on non-research related activities may be discounted, where each case is evaluated on its own merit.
- At the time of recruitment by the host organisation, must not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in the country of their host organisation for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately prior to the reference date. Short stays such as holidays and/or compulsory national service are not taken into account.
- Prior to starting their position, the successful fellows must have completed the courses that would have allowed them to enrol in a doctorate program either in the country where they are studying or in the country offering the position.
Along with your application and CV, please send the names of at least two persons for references and a Skype address.
For sole information purposes only write to firstname.lastname@example.org, using the same subject.
It will be a two-stage process. To be enrolled in CNR, selected candidates will be asked to apply to a specific CNR-call that will be published in a later moment. An interview (via Skype, if necessary) will be conducted during this second phase.
The work will be carried out in close collaboration with the IMM-CNR institute, located in Rome-Italy, where a further Ph.D. student will
be hired within the INDEED project. Further collaborations within the INDEED consortium are probable.
Web site for additional job details
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELPhysics: Master Degree or equivalentChemistry: Master Degree or equivalent
An excellent academic record in physics, engineering, material sciences or related areas.
Please, read carefully the eligibility criteria contained in the job offer.
A keen interest in pursuing research in nanotechnology, and in particular the science and technology of nanowires
The ability to work independently and as a member of a research team.
Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
A good command of English language, with excellent oral and written skills.
Strong willingness to learn the language of the host institution (Italian)
EURAXESS offer ID: 184545