ORGANISATION/COMPANYUIC - Immunoinformatics group
RESEARCH FIELDBiological sciences › Other
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE15/01/2017 23:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONSpain › Barcelona, Sant Cugat
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40
OFFER STARTING DATE01/02/2017
Bioinformatics researcher with possible follow-up as PhD student, Barcelona, UIC
Applications are invited for the position of a Bioinformatics researcher, working under the supervision of Bernhard Knapp in the Department of Basic Sciences, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, UIC University, Barcelona, Spain.
Candidates must have a bachelor and master degree in a quantitative field (e.g. computer science, applied mathematics/statistics, (bio)physics, bioinformatics) with a strong interest in biological and immunological challenges. Prior knowledge of molecular biology, genetics, and immunology is an advantage.
• Strong experience and fluency in several programming languages such as Python, Matlab, C++, Java, Perl, and/or R.
• Statistics and data analysis skills.
• Basic knowledge of UNIX-like operating systems and shell scripting.
• Strong analytical skills, in addition to creativity, curiosity, enthusiasm, and ability to work in a team.
• Excellent command of the English language
• The average of all marks of the bachelor and master must better than 0.75 (on a normalised scale of 0 (worst) to 1 (best)). This is a formal requirement by the UIC. Please state your average mark for your bachelor and master in your letter of motivation (and show supporting documents as an attachment). Applications not containing this information or marks averages below 0.75 cannot be considered. Also applicants without a master degree (or who already hold a PhD) can formally not be considered.
• Knowledge of common bioinformatics techniques (e.g. molecular docking, clustering, sequence alignment) and tools (Autodock, Gromacs, Blast, etc)
• Experience with the use of computing clusters
• Teaching experience and/or ability in Spanish/Catalan is a plus
The successful candidate will work in an exciting project in the field of computational simulations of the immune system and assist the experimentalists of the department with their data analysis.
Access to high performance computers is available.
The position will be about 1200 EUR / month for 10 months. During the final months of this time a PhD student position funded for up to 4 years will be advertised for which the candidate is encouraged to apply.
Please note that Spanish living costs are considerably lower than in most central/northern European countries.
The successful candidate can start immediately.
For more information and to submit your application please email Bernhard Knapp (email@example.com). Application documents are a CV, a letter of motivation (short, max 2 page, containing marks average of the bachelor and master degree), and a publication list (if existing) including journal impact factors.
Application deadline: 15 January 2017
EURAXESS offer ID: 166677
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.