ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversity of Warsaw
RESEARCH FIELDCultural studiesHistoryPhilosophy
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE02/12/2016 00:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONPoland › Warsaw
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40
OFFER STARTING DATE01/01/2017
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020 / ERC
The successful candidate is expected to join the part of the team based in Warsaw – s/he will participate in project’s events, regular meetings, dissemination activities, etc.;
- S/he will carry out her/his research within the Grant presenting its results in a doctoral dissertation in literature or cultural studies. The dissertation will be written in English and must be submitted to the Research Council of the Faculty not later than on 30 June 2020;
- S/he will collaborate with other team members from Warsaw and from the Beneficiary Institutions abroad, examining selected reception patterns;
- S/he will publish papers and contribute to the publications within the Grant;
- S/he will produce entries for the database of classical references Our Mythical Childhood Survey as well as for the database Our Mythical Education;
- S/he will pursue minor administrative and organizational activities within the Grant.
The successful candidate will display an exceptional self-discipline and responsibility in performing her/his duties. Because of the truly international character of the team (scholars from various continents), s/he will be open to intercultural collaboration. Central to the Grant is also the successful candidate’s genuine interest in the research theme and her/his willingness to learn.
- Work in a friendly and passionately committed international team, in the milieu of the Faculty of “Artes Liberales,” whose mission is to build a research community;
- Potential for personal intensive scholarly development, as well as contribution to developing the discipline during the implementation of the project of frontier and cutting-edge research;
- Contract of employment for one year with the possibility of extensions, providing that the yearly evaluations of the Research Assistant are positive. The funds for each of these positions are available for a total of 4 years, with a monthly salary of 3,200 PLN brutto. Contract includes all benefits of a standard employment contract (insurance, pension and disability fund premiums, seniority etc.).
- The successful candidate will have the opportunity to obtain a doctorate in literature or cultural studies from the Faculty of “Artes Liberales”, University of Warsaw – an excellent research centre, among the leading institutions which conduct transdisciplinary and experimental research programmes;
- S/he can take exams required for the enrollment in the PhD programme at the Faculty of “Artes Liberales” and – if accepted – will also enjoy the status of the University of Warsaw doctoral student;
- S/he will have the possibility to apply for support from the Grant to participate in international conferences or in short research trips necessary to carry out the project or to present its results;
- S/he will be able to apply for support from the Grant for the publication of her/his dissertation on the condition that it meets the standards of excellence.
Web site for additional job details
- Very good (documented by certificates, diplomas, or her/his own intellectual activity) knowledge of English which is the main language of the project;
- Good working knowledge of two other modern languages (incl. mother tongue if other than English);
- Good reading skills in Latin, with the help of a dictionary; elementary knowledge of Ancient Greek will be an additional advantage;
- Excellent MA degree in the Humanities with preference for Classics, Modern Philologies (incl. Polish Philology), Cultural Studies, History, Art History, Philosophy. BA holders who are in the last year of their MA programme can also apply, provided that they are able to prove their research potential and particularly strong qualities required in a candidate (see the next point);
- Documented achievements in early research work (for example: publications – also papers accepted for print, participation in students’ conferences or in research projects, scholarships, awards, research or didactic experience abroad, involvement in popularization activities).
Please provide the following documents (in English, French, German, Italian, or Polish):
- Cover letter addressing all crucial information on your interest in the project and qualifications for this position (max. 1,000 words),
- Copies of academic records (BA, MA diplomas, language certificates, etc.),
- Samples of written work (max. 6,000 words: for example fragment of your MA or BA thesis, a published or unpublished paper, etc.),
- Research proposal for your dissertation (max. 1,500 words),
- Any additional materials that may document your potential and excellence in research, such as conference presentations, list of publications (incl. accepted for print), awards certificates, etc.,
- We require also one letter of reference on behalf of the applicant (in English, French, German, Italian, Polish, or Russian) sent by an experienced scholar from Poland or abroad.
Please submit the documents electronically (PDF files only) to Dr. Elżbieta Olechowska (firstname.lastname@example.org) before midnight December 2, 2016 (CET), quoting in the title the following reference: ERC OMC Research Assistant. You will receive a confirmation of receipt from Dr. Olechowska by e-mail within three days of your submission. If your application is not acknowledged, please call us before December 7, 2016, at +48 22 55 20 131, extension 208, Monday to Friday, between 11.30 a.m. and 1 p.m.
Attention: The referee should send his/her letter directly to Dr. Elżbieta Olechowska (email@example.com) by the closing date, i.e., before midnight, December 2, 2016 (CET). The candidate should not attach any letters of reference to her/his application. Remember to quote: ERC OMC Research Assistant in all the correspondence related to the vacancy.
We will invite shortlisted candidates for an interview (in person or via Skype, if the candidate is prevented from coming in person to the Faculty by valid reasons. The Faculty does not reimburse costs related to the arrival for the interview).
The successful candidate is expected to start in January 2017. The Faculty is an equal opportunity employer. Among candidates otherwise equally qualified, preference will be given to candidates with disabilities. We reserve the right not to fill the positions and re-open the competition in case the applicants fall short of the requirements. For the Polish please version visit http://al.uw.edu.pl/pl-1034.
EURAXESS offer ID: 153730
EURAXESS old offer ID: 34120130
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.