ORGANISATION/COMPANYInstitute of Biochemistry of the Romanian Academy
RESEARCH FIELDComputer science › Database management
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE21/10/2016 00:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONRomania › Bucharest
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40 hours per week (academic flexibility)
OFFER STARTING DATE01/11/2016
The post is funded by a EU POC-A1-A1.1.4-E- 2015 Competitiveness Operational Programme 2014-2020 award, for the development of a „Multi-omics prediction system for prioritization of gerontological interventions” (GERONTOMICS). The duration of the post is one year, extendable for up to 4 years, based on satisfactory performance. The selected candidate will work full-time in the project.
GERONTOMICS aims to use a systems biology approach to combine data from different “omics” levels (e.g.: genomic, transcriptomic, epigenomic, etc) and from various models of ageing in order to create a large-scale data-driven analysis and prediction platform for experimental interventions in gerontology.
The project will involve both computational aspects (data aggregation and processing, multidimensional data analysis, network-based methods, systems theory approaches, etc) as well as wet-lab experiments (some of the predicted interventions will be tested in vivo), with a highly multi-disciplinary team.
Candidates should be highly motivated with a BSc in Computer Science (or a similar/equivalent academic degree) with excellent command of the English language. Competencies in or familiarity with a Biology-related field of study would be an advantage but are not required.
As a database and web programmer the candidate’s responsibility will be to:
- collaborate with the rest of the team to identify system requirements,
- design database structures,
- implement scripts and programs (writing clean and testable code) for querying databases, data management and visualization, communication with pipelines for large-scale data integration, etc
- create technical documentation and presentations for the team
While not the main focus of the post, being in an interdisciplinary team will also offer the successful candidate the opportunity to train in other fields than his/her own (e.g. gerontology, theoretical and experimental biology, bioinformatics, computer science, statistics and systems biology).
The post will require the succesful candidate to be able to present his/her work to the rest of the group and occasionally might also require him/her to attend and present at national and international meetings. Depending on the existing skill set and the candidate’s career goals, attendance to various training courses could also be available.
For any formal or informal inquiries (e.g. discussing ideas of fun team building activities), prospective students and postdocs are encouraged to contact me by e-mail at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
International team, multi-disciplinary academic environment
Web site for additional job details
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELComputer science: Bachelor Degree or equivalent
- Work experience as a database engineer, web programmer or developer
- Hands on experience with various programming languages and frameworks, in particular Python/Django
- Familiarity with front-end technologies
- Being able/open to work in a multi-disciplinary team and in a fast-paced, agile work environment
- Ability to communicate (oral/written/presentations) and work well in a team
Optional but desirable skills:
- Experience in bioinformatics or biology will help with your group integration but is not required and will not be a selection criterion
For eligibility, the job application must include the following documents (additional documents will be required when signing the contract):
- Request for job application
- Curriculum Vitae including Work portfolio
- Copy of diploma for highest academic grade achieved
- Letter of intent
- A minimum of two letters of recommendation
Job applications should be sent before 16:00, 21.10.2016, by e-mail at email@example.com or directly at the Institute of Biochemistry of the Romanian Academy, Bucharest, Splaiul Independentei, nr 296, sector 6, room 307 (Human resources), for the attention of Dr. Robi Tacutu.
Job interviews will take place on 25.10.2016, at 11:00 at the Institute’s location (in special cases, skype interviews can also be arranged).
Job posted on: 21.09.2016
EURAXESS offer ID: 126482
EURAXESS old offer ID: 34111415
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.